New garage roof

1. Agrismith Member

My asbestos garage door is in the greatest condition so I have box profile sheets coming to overlay it
    I'm going to put a 25mm layer of insulation between the asbestos and the tin to try and stop any condensation in side the garage first question is will polystyrene be enough or should I go for celotex
    Second question is due to the box profile section parts of the roof won't be in contact with the insulation so may condensate in the arches so should I put a layer of polythene between the insulation and the roof sheets or just allow good ventilation

2. winchman

winchman Member

Personally i would have the asbestos professionally removed and start again

3. 123hotchef Member

not sure but I need to do the same at some stage too,
    I may even batton over the existing roof first as I would like to change the pitch also

4. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Part of my workshop has asbestos roof with a metal roof over the top. Doubt it had insulation between but never had any issues and the asbestos roof would help with insulating. I fitted some cheap insulation and plasterboarded the ceiling. I personally wouldn't do plasterboard again myself.

123hotchef likes this.
  5. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Some pics.

• 74768_10150976423110948_579124892_n.jpg
    • 392523_10150858480490948_1202616961_n.jpg
    • 522255_10150858477050948_943319380_n.jpg
    • 563093_10150858480760948_402986963_n.jpg
    123hotchef likes this.
  6. gaz1

gaz1 Member

no you didnt you used osb board and insulation this time round

if you have the space create a cold roof and insulate below the roof on top of the osb boarding

if you dont id change to normal insulation and go above the old sheets

1" board is not going to be good enough and the ridges cause a draght up them id considered glueing insulation board to them with pink gripfill and then use a foam gun to fill the voids in with foam

but if those insulation boards degrade in time might as well use fibre glass insulation instead

123hotchef likes this.
  7. 123hotchef Member

you can get pre insulated roof sheets now

8. Agrismith Member

Thanks everyone for your help

This is what I wanted but they have a minimum order of 150 sq m as I enquired about them so enough for a single garage is difficult to come by
    Loads of side pannels on eBay but they are different to roof panels so don't have a fully waterproof joint

I don't see any reason to do this it's just more money for no gain I just wanted to know what insulation to go for and whether I need a moisture barrier

123hotchef and fenman like this.
  9. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Debatable whether you need this above the asbestos roof but this is what I put between OSB and and metal roofing: https://www.screwfix.com/p/cromar-v...e-roofing-membrane-dark-grey-1-5m-x-50m/7116p

10. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    All I did was batten the roof on top of the fibre sheets, then screwed down the metal sheets on the battens, finished with the usual edge trim. Enough air gap to keep it dry.

For my new garage roof, I used insulated panel seconds - bound to be a local-ish supplier to you somewhere. 6mx1m x 150thk (I wanted 50 thk, but all they had was the 150, so I had to drop the roof to keep the exterior height within permitted limits) are light enough to carry yourself.

Burdekin likes this.
  11. jimbo84 Member

Might be wrong but I’m sure you can get rid of asbestos yourself if it’s the garage type stuff and your local tip will give you bags and allow you to dump it in their assy skips.

addjunkie likes this.
  12. The asbestos cement sheets you can diy removal , correct ppe disposable overalls mask etc and damp it down , at our recycling site (veolia ) you are supposed to double bag it and ring before you take it there .

roofman likes this.
  13. gaz1

gaz1 Member

14. nickk Member

Eaves foam filler,is the correct product to fill in the voids between corrugated sheet and eaves beam,come in 1 m lengths and cut with a Stanley knife.

15. winchman

winchman Member

Its bad for your health. I am sure Parm would fill us in, personally I wont go near the stuff.

16. julianf

julianf Member

There's a lot of difference between the danger level of soft aesbestos lagging, and the bonded aesbestos used in corregated roofing.

The damage is caused when it gets into your lungs. Unless you're smashing bits of the roof off evey weekend, and sucking in the dust, you're going to die of somthing else first.

Basically it's in a hard lump on the roof. If it stays there, it's not an issue. Which is why you still see aesbestos rooves all over the place - as it's not considered high risk.

RWD3M likes this.
  17. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

If it was there would be 60% of our population with Asbestosis

18. Agrismith Member

It's only a problem when it's broken and fibres escape
    There is aspestos everywhere every house I have ever lived in has had it on the ceilings
    Every farm I've worked on has aspestos buildings and hse never ask for it to be removed and they pick up everything

19. Slowcoach Member

There is a course for removing said asbestos sheeting that’s about 75 quid for a days training. Non-licensed asbestos removal I think. As already said if you can find somewhere to take it I think it has to be double bagged, Does one have to be red. It seems most council tips say they won’t take it.

20. julianf

julianf Member

Again, you're going to die of somthing.

It's all probability. Will removing a single aesbestos roof, without knowing what you are doing at all, push aesbestosis to the top of the list of things you are going to die from?

Probably not.

Do it in an even vaguely sensible way (wet everything, don't smash up what you don't have to, wear a mask, etc) and there's no chance of you not dying of somthing else first.

The only person I know who had real issues worked as a ship yard plumber. He said that it looked like snow, the amount that was in the air.... Those are the people who have issues, not one person removing one roof, once in their life, with some degree of competence.

Or leave it where it is. I mean even legacy school rooves are somtimes bonded aesbestos.

Advertisements