New car advice (diesel estate)

1. scott0031 Member

England Kent
    Following on from this thread my endless task of looking for a new car continues. Limited finances and lack of work, a bad 12 months is not helping the cause when a new car is needed, that combined with nigh on everything i have looked at having some very questionable issues. Plus the lack of estates out there in my neck of the woods has proved problematic.

I would like something economical, as reliable as one can expect with any car, cheap tax would be a huge bonus as I'm sick of paying high tax for my old bus. Cruise control would be a bonus. I need a reasonably big estate as i carry a fair amount.

I have looked at Skoda Octavia's. Volvo V50s, Kia ceeds and various others. All have needed a fair amount of money spent straight away and the lack of timing belts being done when they should be, whats that all about? I find it stunning people running these risks with there cars.

I am now looking at (in partial desperation) Renault megane 1.5 DCI eco Dynamique around the 2012 onwards mark, but i have zero knowledge of late french cars. I know the problems typically associated with french electrics having owned a few including my old xantia for many years, good mechanically but horrible electrics. I get the impression Renault (later ones) are a lot better these days electrically. Does anyone have first hand experiences of these later cars including any bad engine woes to be wary of? Any advice on later meganes welcome.

Or advice on other good solid cars would be welcome. I have upped my budget a fair bit but now i;m on my limit. So 5k is my limit with nothing left to spend. I'm tempted just to get a dog and run into the ground... I hate cars!

Thanks in advance.

2. premmington

premmington Member

Give the Renault 1.5Dci a miss.

Best diesel estate car on the road at the moment is a Skoda Superb - we have taxis in our workshop - which have covered 400.000miles and run like new - only buy a manual - avoid DSG autos.

2.0 CR 170bhp 2008-2010 with the CBBB engine code or the later 2010-2015 CFGB 170hp engine is the one to look for.

magnet, rtcosic, slim_boy_fat and 3 others like this.
  3. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Best estate car I had was the Mondeo, very reliable and comfortable. Biggest disappointment was the Octavia I traded it in for. I can also add the Citroen C5 as another to miss, comfortable and nice to drive. Most of that driving will be to the garage though for something else fixing.

hunter27, slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  4. stuvy

stuvy Member

I’m a ford man and I’d say focus or mondeo as you get a lot of car for the money

Alternatively a ford galaxy and you have a van with the seats removed

hunter27 likes this.
  5. hotponyshoes Member

Mondeo estate every time if you are on a budget.
    Just for the shear volume (hence low price) of spare parts available for them.

Some cars may be better than others but none are perfect and it's sods law it's you that will get a duff one!
    For whatever you are thinking of have a quick look on eBay first at the price of something major like an engine or gearbox and see how easily available and how expensive they are.
    Also find an owners forum for that model and type "common problem" into the forum search, if it comes up with anything lime injector pump problems hen have a look at the price of injector pumps for example.
    Something sold in massive numbers lime the Mondeo is going to have aftermarket parts available for any common problems and any garage in the country should be able to source and fit them

hunter27 and rikrobson like this.
  6. V6BOY Member

Cheap reliable estate I'd go for a Skoda Octavia, Mondeo or insignia good bet also.

7. stuvy

stuvy Member

Insignia are rubbish for interior build and reliability

bigegg, J1nx, Ashley Burton and 2 others like this.
  8. Moose McAlpine

Moose McAlpine Member

9. premmington

premmington Member

2.0 diesel Insignia engines are the only engine I know where the main crankshaft shell bearings don't have tags - we have loads of low mileage ones in our workshop - that have "spun the shells" and wrecked the crankshaft beyond grinding. This was a big design miss for GM.

Any Mondeo estate is huge in the rear load area with the seats folded down.

I like an estate car - I have black Merc E320CDi estate - it is like a hearse to look at thou :doh::doh::doh:

10. Moose McAlpine

Moose McAlpine Member

It's a Fiat/Alfa/Lancia engine. Unsurprising it's badly engineered.

stuvy likes this.
  11. premmington

premmington Member

The previous Italian designed 1.9 diesel engine fitted to Vectras was not good either.

jenki, stuvy and dobbslc like this.
  12. Moose McAlpine

Moose McAlpine Member

It's the same engine really. No wonder the 1.3 version is so awful too.

stuvy likes this.
  13. Turbo Member

Peugeot 406 estate, pre 2000 with the less refined but bulletproof xud engine or an up to 2002 2l HDI engine. Avoid the 2002 on as they had a DPF fitted & very troublesome. Go for the HDI 90 & get it remapped to 110, the HDI 110 engine is more complicated & can give trouble.
    I had one for over 10 years & it was the best, most reliable car I've owned. I would still have it had I not crashed it! :ashamed: No major problems, just regular servicing every 6000 miles. Will return 50mpg with careful driving, road tax was £150 per year.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I would also say Mondeo would be a good choice on a budget! Volkswagen Audi Group cars are another good choice, But depends on your budget

stuvy likes this.
  15. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I have a Passat 2.0 TDI (170HP) at the moment and it seems decent, suppose it is basically the same as the Skoda mentioned above. MPG seems good as well, especially when compared to my last car (Subaru Legacy 3.0L petrol @ 20 MPG) I and easily get 40 MPG running the 8 miles to the the workshop and when I am working a bit up the road, about 20 miles away I am getting 50MPG. I have a heavy foot when it comes to accelerating so I would imagine these numbers could be bettered if you try.
    Road tax is, I think, is around £155 so not the cheapest but a lot less than the £400 or so I was for the Legacy, still miss the Legacy though :D

stuvy likes this.
  16. winchman

winchman Member

I have had a 405 and a 406 diesel, both gave excellent performance, I now have a Citroen Picasso, £600 had it 4 years done 60000 miles its excellent, its the 90HP model as no DPF and a standard fly wheel so less to go wrong, seats just unclip giving a massive boot, if it went bang I would just buy another

monky harris likes this.
  17. RWD3M Member

I would echo the Mondeo talk above but also consider the Mondeo's classier cousin, the X Type. Available as an estate
    and they can be found for Mondeo money.
    I just covered in excess of 240k in my 2.2d and 50mpg was easily achievable on a good run. There is a great forum too (https://www.jaguarforum.com/forum.php).
    Go with the 2.2 (you get a six speed box) and not the 2.0 (a little underpowered) and also avoid the petrol engine versions (way too thirsty. Fun though!).

Good luck in your search.

stuvy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  18. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    I've heard from separate sources that the vag 1.9tdi engine is pretty bullet proof. I've got an audi with one at 172k miles, a mate has one at 340k and another mate has a Passat with the same engine at 200k and a mechanic i use has a Bora at over 200k. It's not particularly powerful at 115 or 130hp and mpg is low 50's but they seem to last forever.

stuvy and Ashley Burton like this.
  19. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

The 1.9 TDI engine is a great engine! Had mine for many years with no problems.

stuvy and monky harris like this.
  20. bourbon Member

Useful topic for me. I'm in the same situation Currently driving a 2003 Focus estate 1.6 petrol, It tows my small caravan and in the season, my re-enactment trailer. At 145000 miles, It's getting a bit 'tired' now and I'm also looking around to replace it when it eventually dies. Budget is similar to the OP.

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements