New 160 DC Digital Tig Clicking fan

1. Kickmuck

Kickmuck Member

My New Welder arrived from R-Tech last week. Chuffed to say the east but concerned about the noise it makes. I was expecting a loud whirring as welders do but not this loud clicking sound.

Its coming from the fan. Sounds to me like when a wire is bending inside a PC fan and hitting the blades.

Or is this just normal and suppost to sound like this?

I was gonna give R-Tech a ring but its Sunday and i would rather just get an opinion from yourselves before i make a fuss.

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

the fan blades are catching something by the sound of it :(

123hotchef likes this.
  3. Kickmuck

Kickmuck Member

Any Ideas what it could be catching on? If there it is something as simple as a wire that i could zip tie up i am happy to have a go myself but without opening it up its just a guess.

Anyone here know what the inside of one of these looks like and what might be causing it?

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

the fan might be pushed on 2 far and catching the casing. the only way to find out is take the side panel off or the end whichever applicable and spin it by hand and see where its catching

Kickmuck likes this.
  5. 123hotchef Member

Send it back that's what you pay for the warenty/customer service.

Kickmuck and brightspark like this.
  6. Kickmuck

Kickmuck Member

I probably will end up doing. Its a bit of an inconvenience, more so for me than using a screwdriver and just taking a peek. I thought i would ask for advice on here in case anyone else has had a similar problem and been able to simply adjust something that might take a few mins as to waiting days (or weeks) for a repair or replacement.

I Might just take the panel off tomorrow and have a little look as brightspark suggested. If its not an obvious problem i will give r-tech a ring, i would do it now but ive locked up and am ready for a bath.

brightspark likes this.
  7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Send them the video and ask them if they are OK with you opening it up. They are reasonable from what I have heard and if it is convenient for you then no problem.

8. 123hotchef Member

I would not be opening it up just in case they void the warranty over doing so!

9. Kickmuck

Kickmuck Member

I have just contacted R-Tech and emailed the video over. I thought better about opening it up without contacting them first.

They are gonna send me a new one out asap. Great Customer service as described by others.

10. 123hotchef Member

happy days then u can get welding

Hopefuldave likes this.
  11. Kickmuck

Kickmuck Member

I received the new welder 2 days later. Ahh no clicks :D. Been welding with it since i received it. Been practicing and also made a door gate with it and a custom handle that went missing for a meat slicer. I am loving the amount of control i have now. Being used to scratch start ive only had to grind my tungsten a few times as opposed to every few strikes. Only downside is i almost blown through a full bottle of argon already. I'm down to about 10% left in the bottle. Geez its gonna be expensive. I have started laying off the pre and post flow a bit to conserve a bit of gas and toning it down to about 7-8 Lmh (depending on Material).

How can i make a bottle last longer without buying a bigger one. Will a gas lens help? :dontknow:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

13. Richard.

Richard. Member

I run 6lpm through a no 7 cup with a gas lens. I have experimented and know I can get clean welding on the right joints with far less but I’d rather ensure full protection than see what I can save.
    Dual stage regs do save you gas but they don’t allow you to drop the flow rate.
    I have the exact same reg as brad and it’s a lovely bit of kit but where it comes into it’s own is it’s reaction time is so quick you don’t get any start up surges and like wise when coming to the end of your bottle you don’t get that final surge of gas as it draws out the last dregs.
    If your doing lots of short runs or tacks then a dual stage reg will literally buy you bottles and bottles of gas. A start up surge can be as high as 20lpm maybe more and can be as long as a good second before stabilising. Do this 20,30, 40 times on a job and you’ve probably used 3 times more gas than you should have. A lot of forum members have come to me over the years for tuition and I insist they bring a reg incase mine doesn’t fit their set. It’s usually a cheap single stage 25 quid thing.
    A really good example of false economy because that 25quid is costing far more in gas than I’ll ever spend dual stage regs are worthy investments especially while learning.

123hotchef likes this.
  14. 123hotchef Member

looks like I need a new reg then!

15. John Hale Member

Would you recommend one of the ELGA Optimator Range?

123hotchef likes this.
  16. Richard.

Richard. Member

Absolutely.
    It’s a clear winner imo.

17. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

To give you a little idea of how good they are. I use X size bottles and with the supplied reg, I was using a bottle up in a weekend practicing. I've had 4 weekends out of my present bottle and it's nowhere near empty, thats since buying the elga optimator II reg
    As Richard said it's the surge on start up that wastes so much gas and that problems completely gone now.
    Honestly they are worth the money.

Richard. and 123hotchef like this.
  18. 123hotchef Member

you have sold it to me! I can physically hear the gas surge on start up and I have tinnitus!

Popcorn likes this.
  19. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

20. Kickmuck

Kickmuck Member

I take your word for it that these are a worthy investment. Other people have mentioned HERE about the cheaper option of buying 2 flow meters and a Y adapter. What are the downsides of doing it that way as opposed to the Elga optimizer?

Advertisements