Mystery Jack problem

1. p0689109 Member

Got this at auction. Jacks up with the what I think is a foot operated lever but there is no way of getting it to lower from what I can make out. The saddle where the jack arm fits is not connected to the pump and its return springs are snapped. The handle has a square hole on its lower end and is rotated by the knob on its top. But there is nothing for it to connect to at the actual hyd bit! I think perhaps the hyd unit has been fitted to replace the original but am damned to see how to lower it. There are two plugs on the top one with a allen head and the other a flat blade head. Took the flat blade off but nothing happened and under it is something akin to a carb jet type plug. I have tried completely lowering the foot pedal and standing on the lifting arm but no joy there. Any thoughts?
    OOPS I have lost the first few photos of the jack so I will retake them tomorrow. It is 45inches long and 16inches across the rear castors.

• S4021989.JPG
    • S4021990.JPG
  2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Usually a case of turning the handle to the right or left, Show some pictures of where the handle slots in.

brightspark likes this.
  3. evobilly666 Member

As above. Mine only engages when the handle is right up.

4. Wallace

Wallace Member

From the photos, that looks similar to a Clarke high lift jack I have. On mine, the foot pedal is for initial lifting to height and the handle for lifting the load, twisting the black knob anticlockwise lowers. The square hole on the handle end should locate over a square shaft inside the pump handle socket and the handle tube is held in position with a clamp bolt. The square shaft is connected to a release valve via a universal joint beneath the pump handle socket.

Mine chewed a seal up and Clarke don't keep spares so I modified it with a 10t portapower cylinder. I hope it was cheap!

5. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

Look at the pump. put a pic of the pump on here?
    I have a jack that the handle works exactly the same.
    I didn't get a handle with it and had to make something like you have, the flexible drive had been twisted
    so I replaced it with a britool one. Since I got it I have seen a few in skips over the years and the flexy drive was always twisted; clearly not the best way of doing it.

6. dan treg Member

if its like mine sounds like the universal joint part has been lost or snapped of . this should connect to the hydraulic part normally anti clockwise to lower clockwise to tighten then pumped up to lift

brightspark likes this.
  7. Wallace

Wallace Member

If you can get some photos up I still have all the surplus parts from mine when I did the cylinder conversion.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. p0689109 Member

As I mentioned in the beginning the handle has nothing to locate into regards the square hole! There is a hole in the handle connector with the clamp but nothing that would be coming from the pump to act as a release mechanism.

• S4021991.JPG
    • S4021992.JPG
    • S4021993.JPG
    • S4021994.JPG
    • S4021995.JPG
  9. Wallace

Wallace Member

This is the part you are missing.......

(Click to enlarge image.)

IMG_7038.JPG

Also looks like the handle return springs are broken and the pin they rest on. It might be this jack or similar to it... LINK

10. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

Isn't the foot thing the release?

The flexi drive released jack I have has the released directly below the centre of the handle, in the vertical face of the pump.
    It's just a screwed in valve to release the pressure.
    I will pull it out of the undergrowth and take some snaps, if I remember. Flip it over and have a look.

11. Wallace

Wallace Member

No, it’s a quick lift to required height function. Quite nice to use as you can also lift the front wheels off the ground and pivot the jack on the rear castors for positioning.

12. p0689109 Member

Yes but the pump does not have the receptacle for it to go in! The only orifice is the pump one (see photo 3)which is connected to the little handle which is well bent out of shape. The springs are broken(mentioned in first posting) and the shaft there are on have a washer welded to the end to stop them from coming off and looks original. From that photo it does so I will pop down to the local in Stoke and have a look. Thanks for the link Wallace.

13. Wallace

Wallace Member

Is there anything in here? My pump assembly may look different as I cut the plates off to mount the new cylinder.

S4021993 copy.jpg

14. p0689109 Member

When I first looked in that area it looked flush but a prod with a stick does reveal a hole but unable to confirm what is in there. As the jack goes up I guess then that is the release and it must have sheared off. Looks like I will have to get the pump off and on the bench!

15. p0689109 Member

So got the pump out of the frame of the jack, the return springs are the trickiest as they are strong in tension. On the bench it was a lot easier to inspect what is the place where the release mechanism fits. I could see what turned out to be a piece of what looks like a piece of split pin leg and a o ring of sorts stuck in the bottom. They are in the photos. Two ball bearings came out when I decided to drain the oil whilst I was on. From whence they came I know not. All ideas would be helpful. This pump does not come apart as all joins are welded!

• S4021996.JPG
    • S4021997.JPG
  16. dan treg Member

this is effectively a non return valve sometimes there will also be springs the universal joint part rotates should push a plunger wish seats on the ball bearing this then should form a seal and hold the jack up. the universal joint is then release which unscrews and releases the pressure on the ball bearing and jack should descend slowly . looks like you have lost some parts to me

17. p0689109 Member

So the split pin looking bit is what is left of the plunger then. Makes sense now, thanks. The rubber seal was jammed in the hole sideways and why two ball bearings?

18. p0689109 Member

Wallace, I assume the seal yours chewed up was the same as the one I fished out. I paid £23 after costs. Looks like I will have to do something similar or break down for steel stock!
    Just looked at a 10t porta power cylinder and it seems too long to fit in from the photos. Was it a straight forward job to fit?

19. Wallace

Wallace Member

The main pump seal broke up on mine and after much hassle getting in touch with Machine Mart they were not able to supply spares, although they could sell me an identical jack! I started looking for alternative parts and found the usual suspects selling the same unit in a different colour but all I ended up with were new handle springs. The seal on mine was an odd size and from memory the only place I could find one was Holland at a mad price and I could not guarantee that the jack would work as parts of the seal were still inside the sealed pump. I found a brake cylinder seal as a temporary trial and sure enough it would work fine then intermittently not lift due to seal parts floating about inside getting stuck in the non return valves.

Not being able to dismantle the pump/cylinder assembly easily to clean the detritus out coupled with extraordinary wear in the pedal and lifting handle pivots, I nearly scrapped the jack but not to be beaten I went for the 10T hydraulic cylinder from a body repair kit. Fitting the cylinder was one of those jobs I regret not documenting as it would have been good to post on here. Fitting the cylinder has one drawback the way I am currently using it, there is no safety bleed when lowering to control descent so it can be a bit all or nothing if you are not careful as I currently have an air over hydraulic pump fitted and the down pedal can be a bit all or nothing. Using the hand pump there is much more control on descent as the pressure release valve is a threaded knob.

I can take a few photos if needs be. I cut the rear plate off the pump for the cylinder to mount onto as you can see in my photo and I remember shortening the cylinder in the bandsaw. Other than that and cutting a hole in one of the side plates for the hydraulic hose to exit I don't remember much else so would need to give it a good coat of looking at again to refresh my memory. I do plan on removing the air over hydraulic pump and fitting the hand pump at some stage as it's a bit of a ballache to use with the airline and pump.

20. p0689109 Member

Would be nice to see the photos but it sounds a step too far for me as I have 3 large jacks to use already! I just cannot resist a cheeky bid on tools at the auctions! It is strange that there does not seem to be carjack type pumps on the net as opposed to the body straightening types which are not really any good as you say for controlling the descent of the car!

Advertisements