my new s/s exhaust...

1. geetee Member

Edinburgh
    :D hi folks, finished my exhaust last weekend, its 316 stainless steel.
    took me approx. 10 hours.
    its the part from the downpipe to a Remus back box.
    some of my welding is pretty messy but its effective, and wwill know doubt get better with a bit of practice. :wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    old and new:
    [​IMG]
    i use a clarke 100E mig welder.
    all comments welcome, good or bad!!! :lol:

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Your welding looks fine. I found stainless steel to be much more of a pain to weld than mild steel and I was a little disappointed with how mine turned out, but yours looks better :D

I'd worried about fatigue problems with butt welding bits of exhaust together (I did just the same), but there have been no problems with mine.

I suspect your car will sound pretty nice with the new exhaust. You seem to have ommitted the odd silencer along the way....:P

3. geetee Member

Edinburgh
    :oops: ah yes......i "forgot" to pop the silencers in during the planning stage....... :roll: :wink:
    yes it sounds pretty good, but even though i`ve left 2 silencers out its not really that loud and there`s no droning at motorway speeds.
    the Remus back box does a pretty good job of silencing, probably coz its a bit bigger than the standard box, and the tailpipes aren`t ridiculously too big. :wink:
    here`s a short video which gives an idea of how it sounds:
    http://www.popuplights.co.uk/pics/mymazda/geetee01.AVI

and the stainless welding?
    well, i didn`t get on very well with stainless wire, so i ended up using mild steel wire.
    i dunno if thats a bad thing or not, but it seemed to weld pretty good.
    i tested it first by doing a butt weld and sitting on the joined peices which were straddling 2 worktops.......
    it didn`t break so i figured it would be strong enough. :lol:
    i then painted the welds with exhaust enamel paint.
    god, don`t you just love a decent bodge??? :lol: :lol: :wink:

4. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

That's cheating using mild steel wire. :D The only problem with doing that I can think of is possible corrosion induced fatigue in the future, although if you've painted over the welds you could well be OK. I'd certainly imagine it made it easier to weld - that stainless steel wire is a pain.

I couldn't look at your file - I was forbidden by your server. :(

5. geetee Member

Edinburgh
    yeh, i`m really only worried about the corrosion at a later date.
    but in saying that even if the welds last 3 or 4 years then thats not bad, and i can always re-weld the joins........i think!!! :lol:

the video is on a forum, it may be forbidden for bandwidth reasons or something.
    if you really want to see it, you can visit the forum topic:
    http://www.popuplights.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=906

Advertisements