My first time....how did I do?

1. Glenguy New Member

I finally got to experiment with my mig welder. I decided to practice spot welds to start. I used 1/16" steel, 023 solid core wire and the wire speed halfway. I experimented with the heat control. I used the 2 second rule. I used the highest heat on the last weld on the right, and it burned through, as did the weld third from the left. Now, tell me, are those little indentations on top of the welds normal? What do you all think? Did I do ok?

• 003.JPG
  2. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

You've done that faultlessly.
    On to running a bead now, That'll draw a larger crowd.

Glenguy likes this.
  3. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    indentations in spot welds and tacks are common because there isn't much heat, so you get a bit of immediate shrinkage and a little crater. It's nothing to worry about.

Run some beads, and then start sticking something together. Don't say that's the only 20 seconds you've spent pulling the trigger so far, surely you've ran some beads on scrap metal :laughing:

Glenguy likes this.
  4. tom2207 Member

Is that the back of your welds ,, Ive never heard of a two second rule , If it takes two seconds for a spot weld its probably cold ,,,, try a few lap joints , or fillets , then beads , but your off to a great start. Once your started as you are it will become very addictive , soon you will be finding all sorts of things that just need to be welded .

Glenguy likes this.
  5. Glenguy New Member

No, those are the tops of my welds. As for the 2 second rule, I got that from the guy in the video. Yes, I have a mop wringer handle and a metal shoe rack to do some welding on.

6. Glenguy New Member

No, that really is my solo flight at welding. Haven't gotten to beads yet. I owe it to the Youtube videos that I've been watching. Nothing like watching and learning.

7. Glenguy New Member

Thanks for the encouraging comments, my friends. :)

Advertisements