My first practice

1. Slimline2020 Member

Here we go my first practice with mig. I doubt it's great but any feedback is good.

• IMG_20190217_074701.jpg
  2. overload Member

Oxon, England
    A photo can only show certain things to an extent. Would you mind showing us what settings you used and the thickness of the box section you welded on?

To me, it's a little on the cold side, and I have a suspicion that the torch was dragged instead of pushed because of the bead appearance.

Otherwise carry on and gain more experience behind it.

3. Slimline2020 Member

Hi, I used a power setting of 3 0.8mm wire and about 10-12 cfh on the argon mix. I did one weld perfect but I had no idea how I did it I guess a fluke more than anything else. I will be changing my gas setup for a bigger one as the smaller ones are rubbish and don't last anytime.

Trouble finding Gas
    I wanted to buy 75-25 argon mix but could only get 80-20 any ideas on what gas I should get?

4. Depends what thickness material you are going to be welding, if everything you are doing is up to 5mm you want to go for a 5% CO2 mix, if you're going to be doing heavy section material (above 8mm for example) you want 20% CO2 and if you're doing a range of thickness's I'd go for a 12% mix

Advertisements