Multi Process Machine

1. Ian-Essex Member

Hi All,

I am interested in replacing my old sealey 130a mig welder circa mid 90's with a modern multi process machine.

I will be doing small engineering and automotive projects. I am quite interested in the Lincoln speedtec 200c but not completely convinced this is a good machine in all aspects.

I have never TIG welded aluminium before and this is something I would potentially like the capability to do.

Would I be better off buying separate machines for different processes?

2. Arclikeharrypotter Member

If you're looking to tig weld aluminium then a dedicated ac/dc tig unit will be what you are after. I think esab are bring out a multi process unit with ac tig capabilities, but who knows on the release date.

As for the speedtec for the price point I think there are going to be better machines out there. Speedtec is an older machine now.

3. Ian-Essex Member

Thanks for the reply, I am in no mad rush to buy one, so maybe I could wait for the ESAB unit, although not a fan of buying kit on first release as can be lots of teething problems that need to be sorted. Currently what are the better value machines you mention?

I was also trying to find max material thickness the speedtec would weld but couldn't find this info on their website......

I think this is the one you were referring to? "REBEL™ EMP 205ic AC/DC - COMING SOON"

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

R-Tech machines are multi-process. My 180 will do TIG but it's scratch start, probably not what you want.

5. Ian-Essex Member

I think the ESAB is the tool I'm looking for ideally, or failing that I buy a mig/arc inverter machine and then a dedicated AC/DC TIG. Difficult one as I'm not sure with my current capabilities it warrants the dedicated TIG machine investment.

6. Arclikeharrypotter Member

What are you looking to weld Ian?
    A 200A mig set you're looking at about 6/8mm steel. With the addition of MMA then your pretty much limitless. That is for steel.

7. Ian-Essex Member

I would say mainly steel, 8mm would prob be the max. The heaviest I am doing some is 1/4" plate to I beam work.........As for the stainless side probably 3mm max I would think. In terms of aluminium this is mainly just playing around......but again nothing too serious maybe some box section, angle and plate, poss repair some motor cycle engine casing kind of thing.

8. Ian-Essex Member

Cant seem to find a definitive release date in the UK for the ESAB............

9. Arclikeharrypotter Member

No idea here on that. Work out exactly what you want and take it from there, trial some machines and see what your local welding supplier stocks.

10. Ian-Essex Member

Hello everyone, I'm still in the market for a multi process machine - I have given up on the AC/DC Tig side of things as I think it will be too expensive for me anyway. Does anyone have any recommendations of a machine that will run on a 13a supply (obviously) not wound up to the max, but with the capacity to go higher when connected to a 16/32a supply? I did look at the Rtech machine MTS-255S but this must be connected to 32a supply according to Rtech….

11. MaxH Member

The figures quoted are the supply needed to max out the machine. If you're only running at lower powers, you could use a smaller supply.

E.g. I put a 16A plug on my 175A MMA welder, but then use a fly-lead to run it from usual a 13A socket as don't have the 16A supply yet. This just means I wouldn't be able to run at the full 175A (probabaly ~140A maximum instead).

skotl likes this.
  12. Ian-Essex Member

I asked r tech this specific question relating to their mts 255 s and they said this requires 32a supply to function. But they said their 250 mig is ok at lower input current. As you mention.

13. MaxH Member

Oh interesting, my bad in that case. Will look forward to hearing why that is from someone.

14. Ian-Essex Member

Here's the reply I received:

Thank you for the enquiry.

We do get asked this question a lot, unfortunately the machine does require a full 32amp supply to run at all power settings.
    If you need an inverter MIG machine that is power flexible, please have a look at the Pro-MIG250 machine:
    https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/mig-welder-r-tech-pro-mig250-1/

This machine will run 160 amps with a 13 amp supply.

15. DTS Member

Only genuine multiprocess I know of is the Weco cruiser. Does mig/mag pulse & double pulse, MMA, ac/dc tig with Hf and arc air gouging. Not cheap but nice and 3ph only. . Then there’s the GYS nomafeed for mig/mag you can hook up to most power sources or their ac/dc unit has just dropped in price. Still talking a good few quid. EWM Picomig nice - 4 roll feed, welded some 1mm steel with 1mm wire.. plenty to choose from. Stick a 32a socket in, big increase in choice then.

16. Ian-Essex Member

I only have single phase and a 13a socket to start with but wanted something that will run on 13a with lower settings then at a later date when I have my workshop built I will have a larger single phase supply. I think this r tech pro mig 250 looks good for mig and stick and also aluminium with a spool gun, but would have to buy a separate ac/dc tig if the need arises.

17. Ian-Essex Member

I've been doing a lot of research and the impression I get about r tech is that they are 're badged Chinese at the lower quality end......maybe I have this wrong, but I would rather pay a little more for a quality brand. What does some more experienced guys recommend?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    matt1978 likes this.
  18. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    That's a load of tosh - I had an MTS255 and ran it off a 13A plug adapter regularly.

skotl likes this.
  19. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    I have had 2 r-tech machines - they're not bad, but they're not the best either. My biggest bug-bear with them was the quality of the fit and finish on the panel work. I like to blow the dust out of my machines fairly regularly and it was always a total pain getting the metal covers back on the R-Tech machines because the chinese build quality is a bit naff.

I now have a Ukrainian multiprocess inverter which I like very much. I have also imported one for a friend and he is happy with it too. I buy them from Poland and they turn up with UPS.

steviec_lj likes this.
  20. Ian-Essex Member

That message is a copy and paste direct from Rtech- possibly they have had issues, and didn't want to commit in writing. They seemed more interested in proposing the MIG 250 machine to me.

Advertisements