Mower problems

1. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

So the spindle on my mower was destroyed today when I hit a rock. I got it out but the mounts broke off and I can't get them off, they keep twirling round. Any ideas to free them before I go gun ho with an angle grinder?

• IMG_20171128_143134.jpg
    • IMG_20171128_170328.jpg
    • IMG_20171128_170516.jpg
  2. MCKDAVID Member

Simple enough... mole grips on the underside on the exposed bit of ally, mole grips blocked in place with a block of wood steel bar etc... then spin the bolts off as normal.

3. Dieselkid 63

Don't you think that was my first thought as well? :( These are a complete pain, the metal is stripping in the jaws. Managed one after hammer persuasion. Might have to sacrifice them, they're $2 each though

4. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

u'll be lucky to get em loose, just nip down 2 sides with a cutting wheel, then u can save the bolts (3/8 unc) YES I KNOW IT'S ALLY.......some time u can get in with a nut spliter.......have this problem almost every day........
    over here it's called a blade tower..........I replace the bearings in situ when necc so I don't have the problem with the bolts.......which is, no lube on assembly and the usual Steel and Ally self hate state......
    also the average price for a new one is around €250 here.........that why I never undo the bolts........most machines have 2 towers and v/often 3, so easy to write off a mower....!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    get lucky...........frank

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  5. Dieselkid 63

Second time this has happened, absolute pain but I don't feel like donating $350+ to my repair shop for a $50 part you know... Plus the mower tied up for three weeks, no thanks. Quicker to fix myself. You sound like you've given a fair bit of frustration to these machines too, so awkwardly built and almost built to break.

6. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

Dieselkid,
    at times it's the only way I can subsidise my pension.........always have about 5-6 junk machines for parts..........these are one of the weak spots on ride on mowers........next to the Automatic gearbox's........
    I have an American Stiga, manual transmission, 1.4m, thats prob 25 years old........it has to cut over 2 acres at least 1'nce per week.......def the old'un's are better made.......for mine the towers are no longer available so plan when the inevitable happens is to make my own from steel plate and tube......mines a side valve V-twin Briggs and Stratton.......
    did u know that the modern B+S are now Chinese........2 years ago the yanks dumped hundreds of the Unicorn engined mowers on the UK market to get rid of them........
    my friend in the States says nobody buys a mower unless it's Kawasaki, Honda, Kholor etc etc.......the 1.3m ride ons we're £1200 each in a box, brand new !!!!!!!!!...about 1/2 the normal retail.......all gone now......hahaha.....
    an average 1.2m mower here is around €2,500 and something like a Husqvarner is almost double for the same size.......crazy days.........
    If I realised that I'd stay here this long (15 years) I would have bought a John Dere 1.5m-1.7m cut with a Kawasaki Diesel in it.........these are now around €15,000.....easy to sell used when I , move.....

another point of interest are the batteries.........standard crap batteries last about a year, well just outside of the warrenty anyway and cost €50-60, a Yuasa of the same size is about €125-150..........
    I convert all that I can to using a car battery, 3 time the capacity for the same €50's......something outta a 1.3 -1.6 petrol car....... they usually get 5 - 6 seasons out of them........they don't always fit the battery box but when they don't, I fit em on the floor between ur knees in a proper casing.......mostly the clients don't care, they are just sick of buying crap batteries every year or so......

all 4 now got a tractor to fix....hahaha........have a great day...........Frank

7. Laccerhas pre-moderated

Majors :clapping:

8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I don't have much patience for things like this...I'd have cut them bolts off with a slit disc...then just go with some stainless bolts in future. Are you going to be repairing the spindle things or is that a replaceable part...seems like it's been "designed" to keep the parts department in work!

9. Dieselkid 63

Replace the whole part. Nightmare and a half I tell you... Got one free with pliers but can't do the others, gonna phone a mate to borrow a grinder. It's such an awkward space to work in too.

10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Yea I'd just get a grinder and remove the bolt heads...not worth losing the skin off your fingers. If you have a finger file...and an hour spare....you could grind them off with the file. I'd only use the file if there isn't room for the grinder I think.

11. Dieselkid 63

New part came, wow! That's less than 24hrs since I ordered. All I need to do now is get these bolts off and carry on mowing :)

12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Could you drill the bolt tops off enough to just knock the heads off maybe....I've done that before but it makes a mess of your drills!

13. Dieselkid 63

Yes if the deck wasn't underneath the machine. Like I say there's no easy way to get at this thing :(

14. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    sometimes a plumbers pipe wrench works well...the jaws tighten as more pressure is put on them...if you put them the right way around.

JP

15. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    They are a great tool for this sort of thing if there is enough clearance. I also know them as 'Stilsons'.

jpmillermatic and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. Turbo Member

Check that the deck hasn't been bent when you hit the rock. I've seen that happen on a Kubota deck which is heavier steel than yours.

There was only a slight bend in the deck where the middle bearing housing bolted on but the mower was leaving ridges in the grass due to the middle blade running in a different plane than the other 2!

17. Dieselkid 63

Smallest stillsons I have are 14", too big to get under there but dead right they would have been good. You're kind of working blind because you can't 100% see what you're gripping, anyway....

Enough moaning, the grinder finished off the nuts and the new part is on and installed - SES Direct got the parts out to me in under 24 hours (from Invercargill so good going), that's proper service and my mower is now repaired and working again. $75 inc shipping. Sorted :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Well done...also look on the bright side...it's great living somewhere that you need a mower this time of year :laughing:

Dieselkid 63 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  19. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    glad it worked out....where there is a will, there is a way!

JP

20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

As this is a welding forum....I think you should be Tig welding the lugs back on and then spending more time (and money) re-engineering the original part so it'll never break again :clapping:...

Advertisements