moving house and a workshop

1. toddy

toddy Member

i am going to be moving house (just had an offer accepted on a place) but i was wondering if anyone here had any experences in moving a complete workshop and a house/

and is there any advice.

ohh and the new house has over 60 square meters of workshop space :D

2. knighty Member

ask very nicely and see if you can have access to the new workshop before you move in (if it's already empty) - then you can move your workshop before you move the house

that's what my parents did.... once the deposit has been paid there's no way you'd pull out anyway

winchman and stuvy like this.
  3. stuvy

stuvy Member

A low floor van is great for moving heavy stuff too and a good few mates to help

4. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    You will find that your workshop will require at least three times more work to move than your house contents.

5. sako243

sako243 Member

Do you have outdoor / lawn space at both places? One thing I'd considered when I moved from Surrey to West Wales was hiring / nicking one of @8ob's containers, loading everything into the container and securing and then getting Bob to load it onto his lorry and drive it down in one fail swoop.

I didn't but I was lucky I had access to the mansion before I moved into it so spent quite a few weekends travelling back and forth between the two shifting stuff on trailers.

toddy, Hopefuldave and stuvy like this.
  6. johnik

johnik Member

tail lift truck and a pallet truck to move things around, if you have really heavy machines, i would get some profesionals in, it would cost but be a lot cheaper than replacing broken pinkies or backs:whistle:

DAPPH and ronan like this.
  7. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I rented a couple of containers in a storage yard for a month, 3 weeks to fill with workshop and some household, unpacked at leisure once we had the keys.

Dave H. (the other one)

slim_boy_fat and johnik like this.
  8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Parm, skotl and 8ob like this.
  9. sako243

sako243 Member

Can't show the OP but hopefully this will satisfy you
    DSC_0038.JPG DSC_0039.JPG
    That's one of the workshop spaces... There's another one half the footprint and 2/3rds the height though the door bottom right. There's also another temporary workshop same height but half the footprint behind the kitchen.
    :scared:

I say temporary because the pictures were stables and just finished gutting them to put a new ground floor, first floor, render, insulate etc...

10. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

That's my plan.
    Instant storage at the other end too and don't have to worry about unpacking it all.

Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. Carl Wilson Member

I'd say renovate/paint/floor paint on the space before you move the machines. I moved mine in from my old shop to my new one (tail lift van and pallet truck job) then had to keep shifting stuff about as I painted. I did paint the floor first.

I made a special pallet for my lathe to allow engine crane to get into it while it was on the pallet.

magnet and Hopefuldave like this.
  12. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I would get some quotes from removal companies, they often aren't as expensive as you think when comes down to all the hard work involved.

When I moved from Berkshire to Hereford we hired a 7.5t tail lift and 7.5t flat bed. My wife was pregnant at the time but drove one of the lorries. I also did a couple of runs with a trailer, up and back twice in the day and then a final run with a van. With the effort and stress I think I would just pay someone next time. If you are not moving too far and you have a good group of friends then it may be worth doing yourself. Our costs were a bit higher as we lost the deposit on one of the trucks, as we pulled into the yard it's a bit tight and as we came off the tarmac drive the ground was really soft on one side and the truck tilted to one side and scuffed the panel on a roof gutter :mad:

I couldn't imagine doing it now, I couldn't even fit everything in an artic now and that's without moving 15 vehicles

13. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    When we moved from Berkshire we used to come up at weekends and camp in the house getting stuff done. It's not for everyone but we found it good fun. When I look back now I had stuff I just left in a yard when the house was empty for months. No disrespect to Berkshire but I certainly wouldn't leave stuff lying around unmonitored if we were moving from Hereford to Berkshire.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  14. knighty Member

Where are you moving to/from? Might be some locals who can help?

There's a couple of times I've turned up for a mate with my forklift on a plant trailer to help move stuff... makes a massive difference

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Fizzy's company moves machine tools, have a natter with him.

16. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I hired a LWB van to move my workshop. It was full to the brim, so was my 4x4 and the back of another van and car! It took 3 of us all day to shift it all and at the end we were basically just lobbing it in the new garage as it was late! It really did take longer than the house stuff!
    Before.
    IMAG2797.jpg
    After.
    IMAG3135.jpg

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. toddy

toddy Member

From basingstoke to didcot

And I would love to hire a 7.5ton van, but I don't have that licence

18. toddy

toddy Member

Here a a couple of pics

Screenshot_20190914-054044_Chrome.jpg
    This is 39.7 square metres, has a pit and can drive through from the front of the house

Screenshot_20190914-054129_Chrome.jpg
    This is 24 square metres, but does need new doors and windows, and possibly a new roof.

eLuSiVeMiTe and Wallace like this.
  19. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    That looks cool, the good thing for you is a many people would want to pull all that stuff down or see it as an issue.

"What did you think of the bedrooms?"
    "Don't know I only looked in the garage, it's got a pit" :laughing:

I know when buying a house there are other priorities but I would urge you to sort the roof on that back shed before putting stuff in there. I could well be fine for a few years but it will only fail once you've rammed it with out of sight out of mind type stuff.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  20. Carl Wilson Member

I agree. It's much easier to carry out repairs to the fabric of the building when it's empty.

Advertisements