Mouldy plasterboard ceiling

1. fizzy Member

uk
    I hate DIY - give me engineering any day!

I need to clean up a nasty mouldy patch on an office ceiling where we had numerous water leaks due to a landlord from hell.

I was thinking of scraping all the loose stuff off. Then cleaning with bleach. Is it worth using some sort of sealer before painting? Is there some proper paint to use or will any old emulsion do?

Something like this perhaps?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-trade-bare-plaster-paint-brilliant-white-10ltr/51004

2. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

it will bleed through the emulsion..coat of gloss on effected area or neat unibond i use then after its dry the emulsion over the top

fizzy likes this.
  3. brightspark

brightspark Member

4. fizzy Member

uk
    Zinesser and unibond make loads of different sealers - which ones do I use?

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

the one ive put link tohttps://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-b-i-n-shellac-based-primer-sealer-1ltr/29661?tc=RB4&ds_kid=92700030933329625&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1243321&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsbH0h9-C4QIV2eFRCh0mXg30EAQYASABEgJlafD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds had to use it on celing and wall after the boiler pipe came off and ruined the decoration that had recently being done :( left a big stain 2 coats of that and re coat emulsion and as good as new now

eLuSiVeMiTe and fizzy like this.
  6. fizzy Member

uk
    Cheers looks promising.

7. fizzy Member

uk
    Your avatar is VERY apt!

8. fizzy Member

uk
    My cure for our leaky roof.

9. fizzy Member

uk
    20190228_200556.jpg

Olderisbetter and brightspark like this.
  10. fizzy Member

uk
    Finally found the problem - hook bolts on roof leaking then tracking across.

11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

That's not a cure, that's a diversion. :scared:

As the lads have said ^^ , some of the stain block products ought to do the job. I suspect it'll need to be completely dry though. Is it too big an area to just cut out the wet p/board and replace with a patch?

fizzy likes this.
  12. fizzy Member

uk
    The buckets have been there for ages. For some strange reason part of the roof where it leaks was plaster boarded. It was only when we pulled down a sheet of plaster board we could see the problem. Roofers replaced all the main gutters 6 months ago. Cured most of the leaks but not these. They have been back twice but couldn't find the leaks before. Amazing how much water comes through a few dodgy bolts.

Plaster board in the offices no longer wet. Been dry for a few months now as we have the tubs in just the right spot. There are 5 other places with tubs and paddling pools!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

fizzy likes this.
  14. 123hotchef Member

brightspark and fizzy like this.
  15. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

paint using oil based under coat and then paint done it loads of time

clean off first and use watered down bleach leave to dry

fizzy likes this.
Advertisements