Motorcycle stand

1. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

[​IMG]

Slapped this together quickly. I used 1" conduit. Yes, it is zinc-plated and put out nasty fumes. I had a fan going and did grind most off first.

I made it as a test of dimensions. I have 3 bikes for it to fit. It fits my ZX6R perfectly. This is good as it has no center stand.

I had intended to just see if it fit on the different bikes and then build one out of stronger tube or box steel. But it is surprisingly strong. Just a little side-side wobble. I have added a foot to each vertical piece and that should keep it steady.

Only thing left is to make a U fork on the top. Will weld a 3" wide strip of flat steel to a smaller tube that fits inside the vertical tubes. The U will be offset so it can be turned in or out to cover my other bikes. (like jack stands have, that bent plate on top, but wider on one side.)

[​IMG]

Here it is with the ZX6R ninja. Now needs a coat of Kawi green ;)

Oh, total cost: $7 for a 10' pipe. The home supply has 4' 25mm steel box for $25! What a rip. Will be heading to a local metal recyclers to see about getting some supplies cheap.

2. Peternick

Peternick Member

Nich one Shenion, wish I had learned to weld before I bought the stands for my bikes, they cost me a lot more than that.

Are you planning to build a front stand? I didnt think I would have a use for one till I bought it.

Post a picture when you are finished.

3. MigTig

MigTig Maintenance Welder

East Sussex
    I paid £80 for mine :o this was in the days I only had an Arc welder an no experiance or training in welding.

[​IMG]

4. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

I will probably build another one. Will also probably add wheels.

Can't decide on a front stand. I have used these type of stands on the front and they are ok for tires. A steering-stem stand would be better, but I think it would have to be different for the 3 bikes to fit around fairings.

I have used my engine hoist for steering/fork work.

Now a motorcycle lift would be real nice for my second GPz550. Would be nice to reduce amount of bending over.

5. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Finished stand:
    [​IMG]

Here is the basket case GPz550 I picked up:
    [​IMG]

You can see my good GPz in the background. Note, the tail bracket was welded back on with my new MIG.

This GPz was an eBay deal Wife: "My husband bought this 6 years ago, get it out of my garage" ;), cost $95. Was left with full tank of gas and petcock on. Carbs were shot (no moving parts even after soaking 3 days is parts cleaner.) Found great deals on tank and carbs. So this parts bike will be restored. It ran but had bad head gasket. Only 11k miles. Will fix up then repaint both my GPz's.

6. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    I'd maybe think about adding some triangular gussets in the angles of the tube to reinforce them. Particularly where the uprights join the horizontal tubes as it will spread the stress out.

7. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

No need. I had one similar made from an old shopping cart. Had it for 15 years and no problems. Really, you can lift the handle up with about 5 lbs of pull. There is very little force across the right angle.

The real force is twisting of the frame. That is where the other one finally started to fail. This is tubing so it should handle the twisting. The old one had considerable flex side-side, this one is solid.

8. Transit V6 Member

Rotherham
    while we're on the subject heres a pic of mine - made when my welder was running like a rolls royce:laughing:

[​IMG]

got the bobbins from a local bike shop, i always inteded to add wheels, mabe i will one day!
    and the green stuff is a tin of paint that split:mad:

Advertisements