MOT extension due to virus lockdown

1. Nomad Member

For info, mot changes have been announced www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

From 30 March 2020, MOT due dates for cars, motorcycles and light vans will be extended by 6 months. This is being done to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

You do not need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date if it’s on or after 30 March 2020. However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive.

Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months.

Edit : thanks to mods fixing the title

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    MoreWellie likes this.
  2. bump Electricity is great!

Leicestershire / Northamptonshire boarder
    I would suggest changing the title from exemption to extension.

Just had to update the calendar, so I know when to get it booked.

Nomad likes this.
  3. Kayos

Kayos Member

Affects the Mrs, her car was due 5th April so I've been through it all and know it's safe

4. postie jon Member

brother in law had his booked for today (wed),due on friday,garage ,large franchise in aberdeen called to say there doors were closed ,but he neednt worry as they said he had a 3 month extension , absolute :worms

5. winchman

winchman Member

So what if its expired how could you get it back on the road?

Wany likes this.
  6. Wany Member

I have the same question. MoT on the fancy bike expired on the 20th and it needs the carbs off before it will start again. Ten days later and I'd have been ok.

7. winchman

winchman Member

Winchboy is in the same boat using his 4 weeks off to fix the issues it had now can't MOT it?

Wany likes this.
  8. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

If your first MOT was due before 30 March 2020 and your vehicle did not pass
    Your vehicle will not get an extension to its MOT due date.

Your vehicle will need to pass an MOT before you can drive it again.

The government is allowing MOT centres and garages to remain open. So you can still get an MOT if you need your vehicle:

• to shop for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
    • for any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
    • to travel to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home
    Taken from: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronav...s-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

Wany and winchman like this.
  9. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Winner, my bike is due 6th April.

10. stuvy

stuvy Member

Mines due the 5th April so I’m a happy boy as I was gojng to SORN it

11. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    A bit odd this because mot stations and garages are exempt from closing halfords is staying open (though I wouldn't ta car there), not arguing though because mine is due 31st march

stuvy likes this.
  12. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    My bike is due the day after, so I’m a happy boy too!

Actually that’s not quite true. I’m a grumpy git, but less so now I don’t have to worry about the bike!

Wany, Anguz and stuvy like this.
  13. bert Member

The garage we use at work for mots is still open but have next to no work on at the moment so are planning on closing soon anyway.

I think the extension for mots is that they are likely to announce further closures of businesses in the next few days.

14. stuvy

stuvy Member

it’s my mates mot garage and he said they would close Friday hence the test booked in

I think other than food shops and petrol stations everything will be shut

15. My old dog van's (2015 Skoda Roomster) MOT is due on the 23rd of April, me being me I took it for test yesterday. It passed with no advisories.

16. jimbo84 Member

Could see what was going to happen (sort of a lockdown) so got it done earlier in the month (due 31st march) so I was covered incase it was needed during lockdown, also a bit of cash in the garage's pocket before they had to close. Seems none of that was necessary but hey ho.

17. stuvy

stuvy Member

my mates garage closed early so I was stuffed

second place I called which I use closed due to the tester being ill

third place was booked for this Friday but they called to give me the good news

jimbo84 likes this.
  18. jenki Member

Had my MOT done today passed fortunately, my usual local garage passed keys and payment through window owner is taking isolation seriously.

Wany likes this.
  19. stuvy

stuvy Member

did he disinfect the keys before and after?

20. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Just a note everyone,check with your insurance that its going to be ok ie drive with no MOT,even with this extension,just a heads up from one of the MOT garages i do work for,as they're unsure also

Advertisements