modifying a trailer

1. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

where would i stand within the eyesof the law/DVSA if i were to modify a trailer by making it a little bit wider (about 6") and turning it from a box trailer with a wooden floor to a ally floored flat bed?

at the moment its got a 2.7T plate weight...i wouldnt need to alter the track of the wheels, or modify the axles at all as the bed sits above the wheels, just need to remove the wood, cut the frame down the middle, widen it by 6" or so, and then sheet it out with Ally checker plate which would be riveted on...

2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

make a good job of the join, copy factory finish.......use their rivets etc etc....
    say nowt, who's to know......??????
    just don't do the mod in the street....

barking mat and Hopefuldave like this.
  3. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

unfortunately my only choice at the moment is to do it on my mothers drive...although no one round here ever takes any notice of what im doing...

the join will be invisible, once its welded i will be sanding the welds back and painting it anyway...

4. bourbon Member

Jobs a good un then. I'm looking at a trailer at the weekend to do 'a little bit of welding'. yeah, right, How many times have we heard that before?

5. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

to be honest ive looked at about 6 now and am coming to the conclusion that if i can find enough flat space for a few weeks im just going to make one...not sure about getting it tested and getting a weight rating on it though as the race i go to is known for DVSA waiting on the motorway to pull people with trailers coming out of there...had 3 lads last month, all home made trailers and all prohibited until things had been sorted

6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    There is no law against using a homemade trailer as long as it was built before the law changed. There should be no issues with your modification, you just need to make sure you aren't overweight, it's not dangerous, the brakes/lights/tyres are all good. Don't forget if they tug you they aren't only going to go check your trailer they going to check everything.

7. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

yeah ive worked alongside DVSA and been involved with removing unsuitable vehicles from the road...not a question i want to ask them though as even though some of them are friends...i still donttrust them in this respect...

the tow vehicle is going to suitable, the load will always be strapped down within IVR codes and regs, just wantt o make sure the trailer mods arent going to be an issue and obviously i have the correct licenses and insurance etc...

the vehicle on the trailer will be registered to me but never used on road etc

8. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, What about bolting or welding a length of 3" box or channel along each side of the trailer? That way you haven't altered the main structure of the trailer.

Colin

Hopefuldave likes this.
  9. nickk Forum Supporter

He wants to WIDEN it,not lengthen it !

10. colnerov

colnerov Member

That's why I said fix it to the sides.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  11. p0689109 Member

He would be widening it by 6 inches if its added to the sides!

12. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

by making it a little bit wider (about 6") which is what he wants

13. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a repair rather than a modification :thumbup::whistle:

14. nickk Forum Supporter

Get it now !

15. brightspark

brightspark Member

just do it :laughing:

stuvy likes this.
  16. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Yep,shut ya gob,say sod all,you're doing it for a mate,job done:thumbup:

brightspark likes this.
  17. Justme

Justme Member

You will need to get it IVA tested as you are substantially altering it.

18. Justme

Justme Member

This is the reply I got to a similar question I posed to the DVSA:-

Approvals,
    Customer Service Centre,
    DVSA,
    Ellipse,
    Padley Road,
    Swansea,
    SA1 8AN.

Good afternoon Richard,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding this matter which has now been passed to me, as the Technical Officer advising on M1, N1 & O1 Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) matters.

If you were to make a new trailer, then yes it would require Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) prior to it being used on the road.
    If you were to convert a car or trailer to make a new trailer, then yes it would also require an IVA prior to it being used on the road.
    If you were to take an existing trailer and simply mount a new body to it, then no it would not require an IVA prior to it being used on the road.
    This is covered in paragraph 5 (Scope of the Regulations) of Part 1 of the Road Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2009.
    I have attached further information regarding the IVA scheme, which I hope will be useful and can be found by following the links below:
    VEHICLE TYPE APPROVAL - https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/when-you-need-vehicle-approval
    IVA - https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/individual-vehicle-approval
    (Includes links to the Model Report list on the VOSA site, list of Technical Services, the IVA Guide, Test Stations and POTFs)
    IVA MANUALS - https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/individual-vehicle-approval-manuals
    IVA FORMS - https://www.gov.uk/apply-vehicle-approval

skotl likes this.
  19. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

So... thinking of Trigger's Broom, I replaced the axle, wheels, hitch, jockey wheel, wood and light board on my trailer, leaving the chassis intact. Oh, and rebuilt the suspension (but retained the original springs).
    Is that the same trailer?

Pigeon_Droppings2 and Shedendman like this.
  20. stuvy

stuvy Member

Manufacturers like for like?

Justme likes this.
Advertisements