Milwaukee 18V Bandsaw

1. norlander

norlander Member

Apologies if this has already been covered, but a few months back I got one,

why?-
    1. my trusty Femi ABS 105 had to go in for new tyres etc, and my mate called me up to do a job up in the hills.
    2. my Femi is horizontal only, I wanted a vertical option for some jobs, you can make a stand or buy one for portable bandsaws.
    3. its got a decent throat capacity- bit more than my Femi model.
    4. having made the investment, I will get other 18V kit without batteries and should not need to buy extra batteries as the saw came with two, and they last well.
    5. Less noise, no sparks, thin kerf etc, usual bandsaw stuff.
    6. the corded version is obviously cheaper

As usual, one bit of kit needs sorting just when you get the shout for a job, so I gritted my teeth and bought it (they are not cheap).
    When I first started using it freehand, I thought I had made a big mistake- I could not get a square cut ( I can accept a few degrees off as all welders can but the cuts were a bit too far out), then after a couple of practice cuts after a brew I got it sorted, tubes are still tricky and need more practice though.
    But now I have it, its in use every day I'm in the shop, that might drop off when my Femi is back, but its so handy at the moment, it will probably keep getting used. And when I sort out a vertical stand for it, it will fill a gap in my shop set up.

Only you will know if you have a place for a pricey bit of kit like that, I thought I did, and thankfully am now happy I got it-but-at the end of the day, I could have bought a shedload of quality hacksaw blades and applied some Lbow grease.

BTW, its a bit of a beast weight wise-no problem cutting though, and like everything else, you learn its "balance point".

Richard., Maker and gordon stephenson like this.
  2. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Quieter than a battery angle grinder for nickin' bikes too.:whistle:

bigegg and Arclikeharrypotter like this.
  3. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

They are very handy aren't they . I know what you mean about getting the square cut though. You need to tip it at a wierd angle to sit the blade vertically. I was making the mistake of not pulling the guide down all the way and sitting it against the piece.
    I've had it cutting through 50 x 50 x 6 Tee like a hot knife through butter, and 40mm rebar which was quicker than the big band saw.

4. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Great tools and obviously been a milly it's gonna be second to none on quality. Been a free hand tool the cut squareness is solely down to you and with a touch of practice in skilled hands they can make perfect cuts.
    Nice purchase mate.

5. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

The Shermans have all manner of attachments for theirs over the pond. Vertical stands, and i've seen a frame that makes it into a horizontal bandsaw that you bring down on an arm.

6. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

ezcut-jig4.jpg

Richard. and daleyd like this.
  7. daleyd

daleyd Member

You can probably pick one up when you go in for your weekly groceries and ammunition.

Revs1972 and Maker like this.
  8. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I'm sure they do. Defeats the object though as a cordless portable tool.

9. Xup Member

Have made a wall hanger and quick release table for mine, great bit of kit.[​IMG]

Richard., Revs1972 and Maker like this.
  10. brightspark

brightspark Member

there was a couple of rigid hand held band saws at ruffoth auto jumble going cheap in good nick 90 quid each. ive not much use for them so never bothered getting one

11. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

I know what you are saying, but it just utilises what you already have, so you have the best of both worlds.
    Plus it's easy to stick that jig in the back of the van.

Richard. likes this.
  12. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Yeah fair point.

Advertisements