Migatronic rally 160 issues

1. James87 Member

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help with where to start.

My migatronic will cut out mid weld, gas and wire feed working, when it cuts out the wire speed slows ‍♂️

Another issue I have is the gas solenoid remains open for around 7 seconds after trigger release. I'm off to pick up a parweld unit this morning as need a working unit ASAP but would be useful to have a backup if it's economical enough to repair.

I don't even know where to start to diagnose the issue

2. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Does it have a spot-weld timer?
    If so, it may not be switched off.

All the Best,
    CJ

3. James87 Member

No spot weld timer, it's an early 90s machine, power dial and wire speed on the front panel and that's pretty much it :)

4. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Is it a short fat one or a tall thin one?

I have a tall thin one and I had some issues with socket for the contactor socket.

They are very good welder and capable of punching well above their weight.

5. eddie49 Member

On most Migatronic machines there is a proper separate power supply to drive the wirefeed motor, but there is also a bias signal from the main welding current. As you step up the power ranges, the motor speed will bump up to match - a sort-of "synergic" effect. So when your arc cuts out, the PCB looses that bias signal and the wire speed slows.

I would start by checking all the connections in the high-current welding path - the thick secondary wires out of the transformer, the input to the rectifier, the inductor, the work return lead, the cable to the brass Eurotorch socket, etc. A lot of these connections will be bolted together and may look OK, but it's worth opening them and checking for corrosion on the wires and terminals.

If that is OK, then it could be a poor connection on the mains feed circuit to the primary of the main transformer. That would include the Contactor ( heavy-duty relay ) and the power range selector switch.

As for the gas solenoid staying open, it could just be sticky due to dirt inside. If you check what the operating voltage is ( could be 24v DC, or AC, or 230v mains - may be marked on the coil ) and then put a meter across the terminals, you can confirm if the voltage drops 7 seconds before the valve eventually shuts, or the voltage stays on.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  6. James87 Member

Thankyou, I shall open it up and take a good poke around it when I get 5 :)

Advertisements