Mig Welding Respiratory Safety

1. DavSki153 New Member

I have recently been getting into Mig welding and applying it to my project car in my garage. A few of my friends have been reading about the recent re-classifications of welding fumes from a HSE perspective.

I was just wondering if any of these regulation changes have causes many of you to change your habits at home? Much easier at work given the employers requirement to provide such equipment but as its only a hobby for me, its difficult to justify the extra cost.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/mild-steel-welding-fume.htm
    https://www.hseni.gov.uk/news/welding-fume-reclassified-carcinogenic
    https://www.shponline.co.uk/chemica...ding-fume-reclassified-as-a-human-carcinogen/

Interested to hear all your thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  2. Climber

Climber Member

As a hobby, with very limited exposure, I've decided not to worry about it. I don't do anything stupid, and just take sensible precautions like a decent respirator if I'm doing a fair bit without much ventilation.

3. Dcal Member

I also weld as a hobby, mostly on cars and I wear a 3m 4000 series respirator.

They fit under the welding mask and have the added bonus of giving protection when the visor is lifted. (not something the blower type can do)

They are disposable but if kept in the supplied sealable bag will last a month or two. The pre-filters available from Zoro help extend their life, if you are working in very dusty conditions, but not really required for welding I think.

I use mine when grinding or anything that raises dust and for the few pence a day they cost I think they are the job.
    Lots of other similar options out there but this is my favourite mask.

Just get the right size for your Face and make sure you have a good seal by blocking the outlet and sucking.
    If you can't suck , it's a good seal.

Parm, DavSki153 and Hopefuldave like this.
  4. DavSki153 New Member

Yes, I've been looking at the 3M masks with swappable filters. I think it's worth the £20 odd for some reduction in exposure. Good to hear yours fits under the mask!

5. johnser

johnser Member

Local extraction when possible coupled with a slim cartridge mask under the helmet. Removing the fume at point of generation is so much better than trying to filter it out. It also reduces the film of dirt on everything the particles settle to earth.

Even in a hobby situation, a decent inline extractor fan and a length of 4" hose out of a garage door can make a massive difference for not a lot of outlay.

Parm, Dcal, DavSki153 and 1 other person like this.
  6. ranchero Member

weather permitting i work out side

7. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Wany likes this.
  8. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

I almost always wear a half respirator when welding, and sometimes grinding... and spray painting / using chemicals too.

9. Tom_ERST_S2 Member

I also use one of these. Pretty comfy for use over a few hours. Once I get welding/grinding etc it only comes off for a drink or when leaving the workshop. Only gripe is the vent is forward facing so can cause condensation on the lens of the welding helmet. I have a 3M one tucked away that I forgot about but it doesn't have the right filters so may get some and try that. I has the vent facing down so it doesn't blow right onto the welding mask.

This is the one I'm on about, though definitely check the filters are correct before buying one.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-7523-half-mask-respirator-filter-kit-medium-a2-p3/13251

cheeRS

Tom

Wany likes this.
  10. earthman Member

When using an extractor fan, how close do you put it to the work piece? If it's too close than the possibility of it taking the argon away from the weld pool is great I'm thinking??

11. johnser

johnser Member

I put the end of the 4" suction hose about 8" away. Too close (probably at about 4" it's noticeable).

You can get away with further for some positions and closer for others.

12. Daniel Luck

Daniel Luck New Member

I hate mine! My place of work has bought us esab rebel air fed belt pack rubbish. My rant starts here!
    Batt pack too heavy!
    batt life about 7hours constant use! (I work a ten hour day) no spare batt! Derrrr nice one esab!
    Air tube to short. Head right down it pulls the mask back so ya cant see!
    The filters are crap, rank taste in my mouth. Xtra strong mints aplenty!
    It fails to go dark on me all the sodding time. Its ok its only my eyes. Another, nice one esab!
    The screens are like spatter magnets and cost a fiver each. Another, nice one esab!.
    The grind function is rubbish and spend about a week trying to press it. Another, nice one esab!.
    So to sum up they are total poo! Other brands might be alot better but seeing as this is the only one i have ever use my opinion is a bit one sided.
    Oh and one more thing hen ive finnished my work i lift my mask and the smoke is still hanging around like a thick fog so pretty much pointless. Im still breathing it in.

13. earthman Member

Sounds like it's not fit for purpose then,....if you pointed out all these aspects to your boss/H&S bod, I wonder what they would say??

Ruffian likes this.
  14. Daniel Luck

Daniel Luck New Member

Told em, and all i got was , oh they cost £600 each. They basically got mugged off.

15. Daniel Luck

Daniel Luck New Member

dont get me wrong im all about H&S but i think they should have let us try one out first just to see how poop they are. I think the sales rep gave em some chat about how great they are and they just lapped it up. Im always try b4 you buy kinda guy. Always had a problem with easb products. Always over engineered plop.

16. earthman Member

I'm with you, I'd much prefer to look/touch an item in a shop first than to order via the net.

17. Daniel Luck

Daniel Luck New Member

Im going to my local supply shop, they said they have a few masks to try on. Pobably gonna opt for a 3m air fed mask. Got a 3m speedglass from when i was an apprentice and its never let me down.

Yamhon likes this.
Advertisements