MIG Welding 4” Tube

1. Andy Lowes

Andy Lowes New Member

F25A2DE5-015C-4A60-9AAF-6B0DE67C76AC.jpeg E7BBF72B-3BD9-4B73-85C7-F8E8E905CC04.jpeg 742F3B65-B96C-4B4F-AFF1-B8AB14C654A5.jpeg This may be a bit long winded but to get my point across it may be necessary :doh:

Prior to getting our MIG welder installed where I work, I would stick weld this dummy end bobbin into the 4” tube with a wall thickness of 1.5mm approx. Which wasn’t a problem.

The bobbin has to be set back from the opening by 5-10mm for clearance reasons. Is the any tips tricks or just any advice I can get to make my MIG welds in this application more consistent.

Just for note if it makes visualising the application easier this is a bobbin for a tube motor in the roller shutter industry.

2. MattH

MattH Member

Practice? :dontknow:

Small motorized roller to rotate the job and weld from a static position.

Andy Lowes likes this.
  3. Andy Lowes

Andy Lowes New Member

Yeah, I suppose practice is the obvious. My set up is as crude as it comes with castors fixed to box section to give me the roll but is manually turned.

4. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

TIG welding would be my preferred method for that. Or, as said, a motorised turner for the bobbin.

5. bwservices Member

you shouldn't need anything motorised.just a steady roll would do
    if your torch is a bit shaky one handed make a small rest/steady

6. Can you fit a steady for the welding torch, bit like a fishing rod rest, this will allow you to keep the torch steady and pointing in the right place whilst you can concentrate on rotating the tube at the correct speed. Where about on the tube are you pointing the torch ( 6 o'clock, 7 o'clock etc)

Welderpaul likes this.
  7. Andy Lowes

Andy Lowes New Member

Torch is held at 6, rotating clockwise/would be uphill.
    A steady would be something I’d looking into fixing up or even getting a fishing rod rest.

8. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

It's rough and ready but if you have enough length on the tube you can wind a string around it and attach a weight. Providing you have enough fall you'll get several revolutions. Vary the speed of the rotation by using more or less mass in the weight. If you're close to the deck to begin with then a vine eye or similar in a ceiling joist gives you a simple pulley to thread through and increase the drop time.

slim_boy_fat and Andy Lowes like this.
  9. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Have a look on eBay for a "welding helmet". It's a protective face mask that has a screen which allows you to keep your eyes open when welding. :thumbup:

10. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    If it's only a couple of mm thick, just do it down hill. Looks like the endplate has a couple of notches in it that can be natural start/ stop points.

zeppelin builder likes this.
  11. First thing to do is make sure you have the parameters dialled in spot on before you try welding on the component, get some offcuts that match the material thickness and practice welding them until you get it bang on, this way you will get an idea of what you need to be seeing through your head screen

12. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

run it downhill from 10 to 4 oclock then turn it so your stop overlaps your previous start ie back step method

13. gaz_moose Member

I see you have a jig for the roller to rotate in so just knock up an extra bit that positions the mig torch exactly where you want it. then all you have to do is dial in your settings and pull the trigger/spin the roller.

14. gaz1

gaz1 Member

if you want to roll that steadily you can if you use weights and rope wraped around it a few times

wrap around the rope around the steel pipe one end of a rope has a smaller weight lowest point whilst the other end has a heavier weight on it

this equals the spin out the more the heavier weight heads to the floor

you would have to trial it first but it can be done for free

Dcal, Wallace and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

Something that thin and obviously non structural I’d be tempted to weld it in the 3 or 9 o’clock position but vertical down. Helps to prevent the burn through and can look very neat if done right.

16. fzr phil Member

Hi there
    Is there any reason why you can't just stick weld that bit, seeing as you already have a succesful procedure for it.
    Is the mig working ok for other welds you are doing routinely?
    Good luck
    Phil

Advertisements