Mig welder wanted for novice

1. JontyUK New Member

Hi all,
    Thanks in advance for any replies. Late starter in welding!
    I want to iearn welding and build my own sliding gate.
    4M x 1.5M in either box section with wood inserts or all metal (some great ideas in projects).
    Budget around £250 but willing to spend more if recommended re item on here.
    Live in N. Ireland so delivery could be a challenge!
    JontyUK

2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

if sliding gate the metal you will be using will be on the bigger side considder stick welding would be better for that

mig will do it as well but you might need a bigger power supply to run a bigger welder

3. JontyUK New Member

I’ve got a stick welder and practicing!
    See your point, thanks.

4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

you can weld right down to 2mm with arc with practice mig is easier on anything below 5mm for easy to buy gear

5. JontyUK New Member

I see lot of friends using mig rather than rod.

I have lots of other plans (I need practice):
    Brackets, wood/log store, general tool/ m/c maintenance etc
    All my research & advice leads me to get a decent mig too.

6. JontyUK New Member

I’m also inclined to go for a used one to get a better welder for the money, hence utilising this forums knowledge before I buy.

7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Keep an eye on the "For Sale" section, good machines often come up through Members upgrading to bigger ones.

8. JontyUK New Member

Will do thanks.

9. BarrieJ Member

You'll need a decent level space to be able to lay it out square and help to move it as you weld it together, it'll be a heavy old lump.
    Not sure what size box you're thinking of but 80mm x 40mm x 3mm weighs 5.42kg a metre, so just your frame will weigh nearly 60kgs before you put any infill panels into it.
    If you're working alone these things can become a bit of a trial.
    6 metres is about £70, so two lengths would do you for the external frame.
    3mm wall thickness won't present any issues with mma/stick/arc welding. I'd get a bit of practise in and go with that.
    Depending on the design and bearing in mind pretty much all your welding will be inside your frame, distortion might also be a bit of a challenge to control (potentially there could be a lot of it over 4 metres).

When you've settled on a plan it might be an idea to post it on here and see what members think will be any potential problem areas. Many of them will have encountered most obstacles in welding and fabrication, either overcome them or designed around them and are sure to be able to offer sound advice.

Best of luck with your project.

JontyUK and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  10. JontyUK New Member

Thanks Barrie,
    What another helpful reply.
    I am trying to read as much as I can and some examples look terrific.
    Would consider it a great achievement if I could complete (with lots of help or I wouldn't bother).
    Galvanised with timber insert, has been quoted at £2400 (no electrics but fully operating manual gate, a non starter and I'm sure I could be that!
    Thanks again.

11. JontyUK New Member

Think I'm going for a new Sealey Mightymig 210 - £455 + bottle, gas & Wire (£550).
    Holding back though for advice.

12. DavyDavyDavy New Member

For box section type work get yourself a GYS GYSMI 160P stick welder. Under £200, job done. Head to Denis Wilsons in Glenavy and have a look or buy online.

If any of your future projects involves thin stuff - under 3mm, then yeah mig is the way to go

The build quality of the sealey welders I've seen is shocking, wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I got myself a brand new R-tech 180 mig a few weeks ago for £440 delivered to Northern Ireland. It's not even funny how much better it is than any Sealey; duty cycle, weight, warranty support, build quality, cable quality... the list goes on.

Two things to watch out for as a novice if you do go for a mig;
    1. Gas cost, you'll empty a 20L argon mix bottle much quicker than you'd think
    2. Your welds might look great but have no penetration, anything critical do a test peice and cut it in half to check your settings

Good Luck and have fun!

JontyUK and gaz1 like this.
  13. JontyUK New Member

Thanks for your response.

It was at Wilsons of Glenavy that they recommended the sealed as above.

Where did you get your R Tech 180 if you don't mind me asking?

14. gaz1

gaz1 Member

ive used sealeys but rate them like a sip but better

parts well im not to sure on them not as good as clarke is for parts here in the uk

15. JontyUK New Member

I was told sealey much better for parts, avoid Clarke!!

Hence my time on here listening to you guys!

Interested in R-Tech one now after Davys post.

16. gaz1

gaz1 Member

JontyUK likes this.
  17. DavyDavyDavy New Member

I got the R-tech direct from their website, they've put the price up a little since I got mine. If you PM doubleboost on here he should be able to sort you out with a discount code. Postage takes an extra day to NI but doesn't cost anything extra.

JontyUK likes this.
  18. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    R-tech, Clarke, SIP, Sealey, any of the bigger ones around 200 amps will do what you want easily, just make sure you get the most for your money.

My cash would be on an R-tech inverter out of those choices. Or up the budget to a Jasic inverter.

JontyUK and DavyDavyDavy like this.
  19. Bbe555 Member

I agree i sold my rtech 180 for a Jasic 200 to match my tig and it's like night and day and kicking myself I didn't go with this at the beginning

20. JontyUK New Member

Think I will go for the R-Tech 180.
    Thanks for all your advice, Jasic out my price range - started out @ £250 lol or should that be crying out loud!

Advertisements