Mig Welder Dilemma

1. Mitchj New Member

i don't weld very much, but I needed to replace the gun and cable with liner and gas tubing etc. I bought a cheap internet model that was "universal" . My old system has one wire for the power supply to the gun/ torch trigger. The universal has 2 wires, but apparently can be used in a one wire system. So I hooked one wire up with nothing happening. Do I hook them both up to the single power terminal on my welder, or try the other wire. I am assuming that it is the former.

Yes, this is an old system. Snap-on, made in Italy, argon gas. I am a hobbyist working on my first car from back in '77!

Thank you,
    MitchJ

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

It sounds like your old torch had a micro-switch and gas valve and your new one is set up to operate a relay for power and gas. I don't know a way to adapt it. A mig torch Euro conversion might have been a better idea.

3. Mitchj New Member

Thanks Pedro, I know nothing of what you speak! Is there a thread/site that you know of that could help me with this. Can I find this on eBay?

Thanks again,
    Mitch

4. Mitchj New Member

Yes there are similarities. Certainly the gun shown in yours is the same. I bought the torch 7 or 8 months ago, and just getting around to it. I'll see if I can find a link for it. It said that it would work with a 1 or 2 wire supply system. I am still trying to figure that out. Thanks for taking an interest in this! MitchJ DSC00389.jpg

5. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

If you had a 1 wire system before and now have a 2 wire torch you need to connect one wire to the torch power cable either in the handle or more easily in the machine itself. The other wire goes to the same terminal the old single trigger wire went to. Basically they use the torch cable as a common.

Member 66062 and Tom Orrow L like this.
  6. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

The old Snap on torch has a gas valve built into it, check and see if yours has this setup. If it has then you will need to fit a gas solenoid inside the welder.

Member 66062 and Jim Davey like this.
  7. Mitchj New Member

To be clear the torch came complete with a sheath. The liner, gas tube and 1 brown and one blue wire extended from end of the the sheath. I hooked up the blue to the terminal where the previous gun/torch system had been connected. So, not so sure what to do with the brown wire. Do they both connect to the terminal or as a ground?

8. Mitchj New Member

Wow,! You're right. So mine would not have a gas solenoid. I see. Is this a universal part? Where could I get such a thing? Does the gas line fit into it?
    So many questions ... maybe I should switch to JB Weld glue...

9. Mitchj New Member

Advertisements