Mig One

1. dominik New Member

2. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Hi, and welcome to the forum :waving:

When you ask "is MIG better than stick welding" it depends what you mean by "better":

• Stick can be used outdoors, MIG isn't great outdoors
    • MIG is (generally) easier to learn and use than stick
    • MIG ideally needs gas (Argon Light) whereas stick really just needs... the sticks ("rods")
    • A cheap / lower power stick welder can be used to build up welds on thicker materials, whereas MIG really needs a lot of power to weld thicker metals
    • MIG (assuming it goes to low amps - 15-20) is easier to use on thin materials than stick
    • Stick welders tend to be cheaper than MIG welders
    So it depends on what you're looking for!

As for the welder you linked to I suspect most of us won't have heard of it (a quick check on the forum doesn't show up any hits) but it does seem at the cheap end. I can't get a reliable translation but I assume it is "gasless", which means you don't need to use Argon Light. This might seem like a benefit (hey - no gas to purchase!) but you'll get frustrated pretty quickly compared to using a gas-fed welder.

Have you tried stick welding? Let us know what you're looking to use it for and hopefully we can advise some more.

defender dan, slim_boy_fat and Yamhon like this.
  3. dominik New Member

So im mostly into furniture welding and such... not too thick i would say 5mm max thickness of sheet

I like stick because its simple, but its not so reliable and it sticks lol! I can manage to get a good weld but its not consistent and my welder isnt so expensive i guess so its sticking.

MIG is simpler so im looking to buy this one because im opening my woodwork company

Here is the weld i made with stick, its pretty good, but isnt not always like that.

[​IMG]

4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

That looks much better than my stick welding!

Is there much of a market for second hand MIG welders in Croatia? When someone in the UK asks the forum "Should I buy a cheap new MIG?" the most common response is to buy a decent make, second-hand. A 30 year old welder, assuming it's still working today, is likely to still be working in ten more years.

So the same advice would probably apply here - you'd be better getting a cheap used welder, and a bottle of gas, rather than buying the cheapest new unit on the market.

My first welder cost me £75 and was 25 years old. My next welder cost £900 :)

slim_boy_fat and Yamhon like this.
Advertisements