MIG Buying advice

1. BenL

BenL Member

Hi all,

So I am looking to purchase a MIG welder that will be used to restore a classic car. I have done a fair amount of research but still a little stuck.

The main obstacles to overcome are:

1) I live in Spain so not all brands/models are available, other than shipping from the UK and warranty problems.
    2) Runnig from normal electrics
    3) Budget is around 400 euros

So, I have found a few options

Reboot 150 The quality is unknown really but it does fit the specs ( I think )

Clarke 135 I know there is an issue with the regulator and perhaps limited power settings?

Clarke 151 This looks pretty good to me, any issues?

Any info/reviews on Stayer? They do a full range from 150 to 2500

Thanks for any help!

2. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Welcome to the forum, Hola amigo.
    Don’t know about a reboot, never heard of it, but you won’t go far wrong with either of the Clarke welders, the 135 will be ideal for car restoration, but I would go for the bigger one if you can, you never know what you will be doing in the future. I think they are supplied with a reg for disposable bottles, they are a waste of time & money, budget for a refillable bottle & regulator to suit, not sure what’s available in Spain.

slim_boy_fat, tom2207 and James1979 like this.
  3. Nathan Levin Member

I have a Stayer stick welder, support for me from Stayer Spain was outstanding, give them a call, their customer support for my issue was excellent - they are big here in Portugal

4. BenL

BenL Member

Sorry for the late reply. I spent a little bit more and purchased the Clarke 151TE which after some playing around I am very happy with but I am still using the disposable bottle. Before I go off and purchase a regulator what should I look for to go from disposable to refillable, I know I need a regulator but what else and is there anything to look out for or avoid?

Thanks

5. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

The big thing for a small user of gas is the convenience of the supplier rather than cost, you don’t want to have to drive 50 miles to change a cylinder to save £2. Find a supplier local to you, also look at their opening hours, gas always runs out at inconvenient times, although the gauge will indicate when your getting low.

Malky and James1979 like this.
  6. paulo1974 Member

7. Mr Roo

Mr Roo Member

Consider GYS machines for car work: their 142 is a wee compact machine that handles car bodywork brilliantly - just make sure to bin the torch for something better ASAP!

8. BenL

BenL Member

A very good point, many places here are not open on weekends which is when I can find some time to do any work so I think I will have to make it a rule to ensure I have enough gas for the weekend ahead.

Perfect, there is one in Malaga which is not far at all. Thanks for that.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements