Metal Question

1. Exarkun New Member

Hi all.

Where do you all get your sheet metal from? What sort of metal do you tend to use?

I am going to be mainly welding in patches where I will be cutting out rust and repairing on my motor.

Thanks.

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

try bumming round local fab shops or scrappies sometimes small motor factors sell pieces at a reasonable price

gordon stephenson and stuvy like this.
  3. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

As BS above,Local sheet metal fab shops used to let me rummage around the back of the big shears, Pick what I wanted and make a donation to their biscuit tin fund!!

BarrieJ, stuvy, Yamhon and 2 others like this.
  4. Dcal Member

I can get 8 x 4ft sheets from the motor factor, you can roll it up if you only have a car for transport, but I tend to use scrap body panels (bonnets, doors, roof skins etc) they are usually zinc coated or zintec.
    You then get the right thickness for your repair for the added bother of removing the paint.

More environmentally friendly too.

5. daedalusminos Member

The last I bought was from F H Brundle - 2m x 1m x 1mm grade CR4 = approx £20 inc VAT. To be honest, probably more than enough to complete the restoration project

6. Exarkun New Member

That's great thanks guys. So far I've picked up bits and pieces like old filing cabinets from the metal skip at work. I'm glad it's not just me that uses old metal!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. bourbon Member

You already seem to have a supply. Reuse Recycle is always good

BarrieJ likes this.
  8. Exarkun New Member

Yes, although I was finding after grinding off the coatings that the metal thickness varied, I was finding that the results were becoming a little less predictable as a result.

9. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    If your using filing cabinets a source and finding differences the older cabinets are generally thicker steel.

Our old office cabinets varied from new to probably 40 or 50 year old and the newer ones were flimsy garbage....

10. Exarkun New Member

Yeah, I noticed that. It's a real mixture of stuff. Filing cabinets, covers from all sorts of different things like boiler covers, some zinc covered off-cuts. I originally started picking out pieces to practice on then when I got started on the motor I started using what was left. Some pieces were clearly too thin and I got better results with the slightly thicker stuff.

11. Bone of Arc

Bone of Arc Forum Supporter

Just got to either a local agricultural supplier/wrought iron railings place, fabrication works or scrap yard. I have visited a few scrap dealers to buy box section, frames and sheet steel. You can be pleasantly surprised at what you can find.

Advertisements