Metal Forming

1. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Hi All,

Not moved onto the chassis yet but practice, practice, pactice means I should be there shortly.

I need to rebuild along the edge of the box section so have some 2mm sheet which needs to be bent to form the angle, from underneath and up the side of the box if you understand?

How can I bend 2mm to a 90 degree angle without a press?

Should I cut a groove down the back to fold along and then run a bead to join it back up securely?

If anybody has been here before, your experience would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob
    :???:

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

That's odd - I had a look around the internet for some images that would help but couldn't find any.

Do you have a vice? I tend to draw a line where I want the bend, clamp the steel into a vice with the line just above the top of the jaws, then starting at one end use a hammer to knock the metal over by about 20 degrees. If it's a long bit of metal you'll probably need to unclamp and move it along by 2/3 of the vice width, clamp up and repeat.

Then work back the other way knocking it over another 20 degrees etc until you have a 90 degree bend. Here's a pic most of the way along the first bend (using some clamps and a steel table instead of a vice but it's the same principle).

[​IMG]

I picked up an enormous 6 inch vice at an autojumble which I find very handy, although 5 inch vices aren't too expensive new.

Don't go cutting grooves - way too much hassle and they'll be uglier and probably weaker than a nice bend.

3. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Many thanks
    I was a little worried that 2mm sheet will need the sh*t beating out of it to make it bend and like you say, cutting a groove will weaken it - that's where the thought of a weld along the inner edge came from.
    I have a 6" vice but the piece is 16" long so it may be easier to clamp it to the bench.
    Time to get the big hammer out and inflict some damage
    Regards
    Rob

4. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

I find it easier with the vice - just moving the bit along as you go. Doesn't take long once you have the rhythm. I used the bench in the photo as the bit was a complex shape that wouldn't fit in a vice, but it's fiddly to get a nice shape using a bench -there is always some unsupported bit that bends the wrong way.

Mind you, if you were to clamp the sheet between a thick bit of metal and the bench you'd almost have a metal bender which would be perfect.

5. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Another way you can do it, if you have a piece of angle (with a sharp root) say about 25x25 welded to a plate and the edges supported so it cant splay out, and a brick bolster, place the centre of the fold over the angle and knock it into the vee with the bolster.

Its sometimes easier than to do it over the edge of a bench, depending on what your doing. Although in this case Malc's way will be easiest.

6. ted junior member

hi rob ted hear if you go on ebay and look for metal folders or item number 7600062217 i think this is a good bye and will help you

7. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    Amazing what you can get on e-bay these days.
    I already used the bench vice and a large hammer so the job is done now. All that's left is the welding!
    One day... one day.
    Regards
    Rob

Advertisements