Metal fever concern

1. Riot van Member

Hi

I'm new to welding I have a Mig welder and gave it my 1st try today. I used a 2mm steel sheet galvanised (unfortunately I didn't realize the dangers of this) and attempted to make a few beads in the plate as a practice.

Luckily (perhaps) my second hand welder wouldn't weld for more than a second without cutting out as the wire feed keeps jamming. It'll spark for a second make a little spatter on the plate but that's it it won't spark long enough to even do a spot weld.

I think it needs new liner since the wire feed wheels spins bit it gets stuck between there and the gun.

Anyway I managed to make a few splatter blobs on the sheet most if not all seemed to be on the surface with no penetration into the sheet and most could be broken off easily.

This took place in a garage with the door open. Obviously I've seen about the dangers of galv and metal fume fever and now I'm a bit concerned. I got a whif of a burning smell for a second but that's it couldn't really say I smelt anything.

I did spend about half an hour messing about with the spool but only about 25 to 30 seconds total time actually attempting to weld. It went like this, 1 second sparking/splattering followed by 5 mins messing with the spool then a other attempt 1 second of splatter followed by another 5 minutes messing with the spool.

Should I be worried? If I get ill now at least I'll know what it is. I have full face respirator mask that actually fits under my welding mask. Would that be any good in future?

davidjohnperry likes this.
  2. daleyd

daleyd Member

I wouldn’t have thought from your description you have done enough to make you particularly ill, but at least you know for next time :thumbup:

3. daleyd

daleyd Member

You can wear a respirator but I’d also try and get some airflow away from you as well to keep the fumes away as much as possible, though it’s a fine line as you don’t want your shielding gas to disappear as well.

stuvy and Riot van like this.
  4. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    You'll be fine, but i'd avoid welding on it till you know what you're doing. While you're learning you want to make your life as easy as possible get some clean mild steel.

5. Riot van Member

OK thanks for the replies hopfully I didn't create enough fumes to get ill. In terms of masks what filters should one use for metal fume? Would a ABEK P3 work? that's what I use with my full face mask mostly for spray painting.

For me the is welding going to be as a hobbyist, DIY fixer/builder so I could never justify spending 400 to 500 on a purpose welding air fed mask set up.

6. bourbon Member

Don't worry yourself about it, You haven't done enough time welding for anything to happen. Just don't make a habit of it. wear your respirator ( and goggles) when you grind the galv off to practice some more.

Riot van, stuvy and daleyd like this.
  7. If you don’t feel groggy already you’ll be ok. Total waste of time trying to weld galv, need to clean all the coating off plus the surface of the bare metal underneath

8. davidjohnperry a different breed

Y does every one like welding galvanized sheet it's like the one thing I try to avoid to weld at all costs. As said by @backpurge above and anything that is classed as fume protection not sure what the highest rating is but go for some thing with the highest rating you can afford and try to weld it in a well ventilated place.

Riot van likes this.
  9. davidjohnperry a different breed

Your in bristol near me when I get some spare time when my littlen is settled I'll pop over with some small 3mm sheets for you to practice and I can help set you up if need be

MBB, slim_boy_fat, 123hotchef and 2 others like this.
  10. Riot van Member

That would be a great help just let me know when you are free to do so and we can arrange something. Thanks

davidjohnperry likes this.
  11. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

We used to weld galv ducting at the foundry and never knew anyone get galv flu in the years I was there. Ventilation was good, through draught with an open ended building was enough to take it away.

outofthefire and daleyd like this.
  12. davidjohnperry a different breed

Private massage me your area of bristol I.e south mead or the like or a post code and we can work something out

13. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Ooh, cheeky :D

14. davidjohnperry a different breed

You can too if you like I'm not against any private message

15. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

You get poisonous gas off all types of welding, just some are worse than others.

If ever you watch someone stick welding you’d be surprised at the huge amount of smoke that pours off it, all around the welders head.....

mtt.tr likes this.
  16. Jay1st

Jay1st AdeptusMechanicus wanna be.

Plasma cutting is even worse.....

17. davidjohnperry a different breed

It's been a big hu ha over the copper coated mig wire and the magneze from welding fume had a hr tool box talk on it be late for me in some sense as long as you can reduce exposure or use some protection then you should be better off then none

Advertisements