Meddings Pacera Refurb

1. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

The Fobco will then have to go. I like the Fobco a lot, but it’s just inadequate when it’s four speed range is 400-4000 and the Meddings’ ten speed range is 80-4000.

Inside the gearbox, some smashed up teeth as to be expected

• 12D9EA92-C0B0-4578-A80A-33427B4B70E1.jpeg
    • FB923CDF-6E08-4542-9AD2-2B0E867FBBB6.jpeg
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. Agroshield Member

I am sure that was just a slip of the keyboard but the gear is not delrin. It is Tufnol. A spare one should still be available from Meddings in UK. I bought one a couple of years ago and it was around £70 but that was cheaper than having one made. The damage is caused by trying to change gear when the motor is still spinning.

metalmelt and Dieselkid 63 like this.
  3. Dieselkid 63

Ah! Yes the top one doesn’t look bad. The bottom one is fubar. I was aware of this being a distinct possibility :D so no worries buying a new one. Bearings sounded gravelly when I turned it on at the workshop I bought it from. The splitter lever has been broken so I’ll need to make a new one, which shouldn’t present too much of an issue. I have a 400v inverter for the motor, as I’d like to retain the 3ph. I might investigate getting a new drum switch with chicken head knob to get the old style switch working again.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. MattF

MattF Member

Four speeds is ample. :D I only ever use my drill on one speed.

5. Dieselkid 63

I’m enjoying looking at this. Nice shapes...

• AEF9F629-052D-4BBC-98C8-63505309AE1D.jpeg
    MattF likes this.
  6. Turbo Member

Be sitting down when you price up those gears from Meddings, their prices are eye wateringly expensive!

I did read somewhere (on this forum?) that you can get the gears 3d printed for a lot less ££.

7. Dieselkid 63

Ive dealt with Colchester before. I’m no fool to this game...

If you could kindly remember where, it would be most appreciated

8. Agroshield Member

That is the cost of keeping up manufacturer support for a 50-year old machine. What is the condition of the OE-spec gears that have not suffered abuse? If they have lasted this long with no wear, it is worth shelling out for an equivalent replacement.

The gear, as I remember it, is a perfectly standard spur gear, 20 degree pressure angle and of a diametral pitch (DP) that is easily determined. The very best material for it is the same Tufnol that Meddings chose. If you have the right cutter (and for a one-off in Tufnol, an eBay China cutter will be less than £15 delivered) and the correct equipment, it could be made.

There are numerous free online programs (GearDXF is one) that will give you a 2D dxf of the gear that can be extruded into 3D for printing.

9. Dieselkid 63

I got the gearbox mostly apart. I will try and find new bearings for it, and an oil seal too. It would appear the previous owners continuously topped it up with oil until they just gave up. It’s soaked all through the electrics, there’s a sodden mess of oil and chips inside the head casting. More fun!

The pulley shaft is really destroyed. I need to fix this but I’m not quite sure how. Any advice?

• C3F628A3-D7A8-468C-87F1-FD108065DD59.jpeg
    • 2998C212-C3C8-4151-A790-47999556B0FF.jpeg
  10. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

4-jaw on the splines, centre on the bearing journal, turn down the diameter a little then get the mig out. machine to size. No, I've never tried to do it :D

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  11. Dieselkid 63

Off to the bearing suppliers tomorrow. That will gauge how much this project will cost!

12. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

Id say the same but turn it down a little further then turn a sleeve to a tight shrink fit, maybe with a little drop of weld at the end, then turn to fit. Less heat input and less (no) risk of struggling to machine unpredictably hard weld.

To be honest if it's not bent I'd leave it as it is. :whistle:

Hopefuldave likes this.
  13. Dieselkid 63

Yes, machining weld has previously given me grief

14. Dieselkid 63

$80 later... but on the right road to running sweetly again.

• 07B77F40-E505-4FE6-980C-7778EBCDFDD9.jpeg
    Maker, Hopefuldave and brewdexta like this.
  15. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

If its not a rude question (or two)... What numbers are those bearings? What DP* and number of teeth are the Tufnol gears? I have an A10 (same guts as an M4) to pull apart and get running!

Dave H. (the other one)

* or what diameters and numbers of teeth, I can work the DP out from those!

16. Dieselkid 63

It’s rude, and I am offended.

Lol. I’m not sure why but the gearbox bearings have been replaced with metric ones, and perhaps turned down to fit - it’s had an interesting life and some major works have been undertaken without ever getting to the root of the problem from what I can see. I’ll let you know once I measure the teeth etc.

17. Dieselkid 63

Not much progress as I wait for more bearings, an oil seal and investigate that gear. I also lost two steel balls but importantly kept the spring!

I have an old switch which I’ll be using to replace the other, newer one. This fits into the old switch enclosure and looks period appropriate. The Fobco and the Meddings look good together here.

• BF5D6DB7-AE7E-48BD-87EC-218DBD7565B8.jpeg
    • C14BB28C-164B-4E21-B744-0C892872AFE1.jpeg
Advertisements