Max use of euro torches

1. KemppiFrog Member

Hi All
    Just finished a ss railing, around 20 mtrs long. made of 1.5 & 2mm tube. Lots of little welds, so I used a 15 torch on the Portomig 285. Some of the supports were 8mm with flanges, so I swopped for the normal 25 torch.
    Idle question... How high can you go with the lighter torch for relativly short welds, say 2", in thicker metal? 180 or 200 amps?
    The smaller torch is obviously easier to use around small tubes, but it would have been handier to do the occasional bigger bits with it.

Prob a 'bit of string' but any comments welcome..
    KF

Pic:
    2019_0205beam0021.JPG

2. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Isn’t the number related to the recommended amps i.e. 15 torch to 150A and 25 to 250A. I assume at above that it will get a bit hot and you may end replacing nozzles and tips more often.

3. KemppiFrog Member

Well, I assumed that too, but a friend has a 180 amp Cebora that came with non euro 150 bolted in torch, so I was wondering..
    I expect if I did a hefty run at 200, then the 150 would over-heat. Or, perhaps the cables in the torch are not up to carrying the extra amps for bigger welds?

By the way, it looks nice in the photo, but it was 42°, so we were glad of the bit of shade from the house..

4. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

5. KemppiFrog Member

Craig-SM likes this.
Advertisements