Max length of torch?

1. Curiousgeorge Member

Hello.
    Please can anyone tell me if there is an accepted ‘maximum length’ of MIG welding torch before issues arise (wire struggling to get through, etc)?

Thank you.

2. Jlg

Jlg Member

Depends on your machine

3. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Typically 5M is the typical maximum for regular torches, I’ve seen some 6M but not common. 8M-15M spool fins and push pull guns are popular.

4. Jlg

Jlg Member

Depends on the machine though I wouldn't want to use a 5mtr torch on a hobby machine with a plastic wire feed

Tom Orrow L and Yamhon like this.
  5. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

That’s true, I was just saying what the typical maximum would be on any machine.

6. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Also depends on wire diameter you can push 1.2mm along a longer distance without trouble than you can 0.6mm.

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  7. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    most decent quality MIGs will be happy with a 5m torch pushing 1mm wire. Probably 6m also, but 5 is readily available from Binzel or TBi and most other torch makers.

smaller wire, or cheaper wire feeders, any doubt then you'd stay 4m or less. I bet there's people working 5m torches on thin steel wire just fine, though.

Any aluminium involved, you'd stick with 3m max, but I've seen people use 4m before.

henry Kadzielski likes this.
  8. henry Kadzielski Member

Good morning gents, again my two cents worth. I am using a 5m push torch to do .8mm wire MB24. Over the last few months I have put about 5 rolls of .8mm through the machine and gun without much drama. I say much drama, as the only time I have drama if I crank up the welder (3 phase) (about 250amps)and try to do a 600mm run. The torch simply gets too hot and I get feeding issues. Even at that rating it is OK provided it gets time to cool down, also restrict the run to about 100mm max. My good mig for alli had had it's push pull torch away for investigation and as a result have fitted a 4m steel setup gun to do a few alli jobs. Well and behold absolutely no trouble, though am using 1.2mm 5356 wire, so the message it is the quality of the torch which will make the difference:thumbup:

Munkul likes this.
  9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Robotstar5 likes this.
  10. mechman Member

I changed my old migatronic 3m torch for a 4m a while back and the wire feed was ok but getting sporadic, so decided to investigate (as you do) and found that the idler wheel on the wire feed mechanism was practically seized solid. Sorted it and it's sweet as a nut. Only changed to 4m after solid advice from the guys on this forum.
    Norm:)

Yamhon likes this.
  11. Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal Member

Not suprised your torch is getting a bit toasty at 250 amps on 600mm runs if its only an MB24, even an MB36 would start heating up at 250amps lol

12. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    I guess it down to what wire feed motor you might have,whether it has enough guts to push a certain length

13. henry Kadzielski Member

About 100mm is about what it will do (MB24) and it need long cool down breaks. Even the MB36 will not be without trouble. I have now switched to a MB36 water cooled torch and now having no trouble, even on those long runs at 330amp range. The water cooled MB36 is rated for 500amps, however I can't see that my self, short runs yes, but the heat at that amount of amps is amazing. I am just happy now that I can weld what I want, at the amps / voltage that I want, without having feeding issues. When I weld the 10mm plates, there is a total of 6.2 meters of weld, one pass 10mm fillet (one item). Longest run 320mm, quick reposition and go again till done. The item does get quite warm once completed, haven't timed how long it takes, but I have had to do 10 items in one weld session. Even the Abicor Binzel 455T torch couldn't cope, which I got specially for this job. Thankfully now all is good

Yamhon likes this.
  14. Curiousgeorge Member

Wow, thanks for all the help.
    I’ll find out what machine it is but I know it’s to weld stainless, if this makes any difference.

Advertisements