Matching old car paint

1. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

What type of paint would be used on a 1970 Volvo, would it be cellulose and do folk use cellulose to blend in repairs or can you use a type of 2k with good results?

2. Gingle

Gingle Member

It would be cellulose, I started my apprentice in 1979 . The way to find out if it’s cellulose is to polish the panel.If the colour comes of on the cloth it’s cellulose. But your Volvo probably has been sprayed since. You can get cellulose from Movac or merrelies paint distributors. All cars now are painted in water base paints now . With a two pack clear coat put over the top

Burdekin likes this.
  3. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    any non clear coat paint comes off on the cloth , the old test was scrubb a hidden bit with thinners , celly comes off , 2k doesnt

what are you trying to blend in....base coat and clear might be the better choice

Burdekin likes this.
  4. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    personally i doubt factorys would have been using celly then , no time to stand around waiting for them to dry , imagine it was some sort of 2k system backed up by the fact original paint cars can still clean up nice when celly cracks and crazes with age

Burdekin likes this.
  5. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Got a little bit to do under the bonnet but might be other areas. Was more wondering and planning, good to know I don’t need to use cellulose. I have only used 2k previously but never done blended repairs so will see how that goes.

6. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah happy to talk you through it , post up a picture and i can tell you how id do things and why

slim_boy_fat, 8ob and Burdekin like this.
  7. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Thanks, will do but won’t be for a few weeks. Topcoating some caravan fibreglass parts today but that is just scratch; sanding, epoxy, 2k.

8. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

What about single stage 2k? Something almost all cars would have been painted in when 2k was introduced. It comes off on the cloth when polishing.

A bit of celly thinners and rub an inconspicuous area as @Burdekin says, celly will wipe straight off.

Burdekin likes this.
  9. It will behave in exactly the same way as clear coat, both being 2k. You may not see the clear coat so easily though of course.

Burdekin likes this.
  10. Gingle

Gingle Member

To blend a 2k solid paint. Blend colour into other panel . Then one coat of clear coat over complete panel . Just add a tiny bit of the colour to the clear coat. It will help the blend much easier.yes you are right about polishing 2k paint,it will come of on cloth , but not as much as cellulose.Hope every thing goes well

Burdekin likes this.
  11. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

Of course, which for the purposes of identification wouldn't be much use, would it? :laughing:

Burdekin likes this.
  12. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

What if the rest of the car is just old cellulose with no clear coat, same process?

13. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah can clear coat over it if you need to blend old with new ..i personally wouldnt tint the clear as id want it to be clear where it meets the old paint

ajlelectronics and Burdekin like this.
  14. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Old paint is pretty dull and faded at the moment. Will see how it comes up after some tlc. A repaint would be ideal but this can’t be another project at the moment so just needs to be okayish.

15. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah first step would be polish it up to its best and see what needs doing

Burdekin likes this.
  16. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Was thinking of final stage to use Autoglym super resin polish but read it’s got silicon in it, would that just cause me lots of headaches down the track?

17. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah if its true then dont use that , plenty of bodyshop safe stuff like 3m available

Burdekin likes this.
  18. jordan1 Member

Burdekin likes this.
  19. Gingle

Gingle Member

This is what we use in Bodyshop

• F77B1D72-7916-4246-A131-81EFFEC6FB80.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat and Burdekin like this.
  20. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Thanks. I bought some Farcella G10 to try. It's cellulose I assume so thought I'd go gentle first and see how it goes. I looked at the 3M pack, just thought it might be a bit too aggressive for Cellulose but just an assumption.

Advertisements