MasterTig 1500 connections

1. Michael G7x

Michael G7x Member

So I recently acquired one of these, a Kemmpi MasterTig 1500 DC TIG welder. It's old but the chap who sold it to me swears I'll really appreciate the quality when I get it all hooked up. And there's the rub. I don't know which connectors to hook up. Hopefully I won't seem such a dullard after you've seen what I've got to play with.

mastertig.jpg

The package included a Kemmpi foot pedal and a couple of different TIG torch leads.

pedal_connectors.jpg

Below is the hose with the 2T switch I mention below. The four-pin pug attaches to the back and would displace one of the two pedal connectors.

clicker_connector.jpg
    Only one torch was included, and he was pretty clear that it had probably struck its last arc. Anyway, here's the only connector on the front, which connects to the controller on the pedal.

front_view.jpg

Here's the rear view. Four pin connector, a couple of Dinse connectors for earth/MMA wand, a gas inlet and a really odd-looking gas outlet...

rear_view.jpg

This seems to be one valid way of connecting the hose with the controller on the torch:

pedal_and_hose_connected.jpg

My question (1) is really whether I can use the pedal with this torch at all, if I hooked it up like this. Does the pedal need both its outputs connected to work?

Question (2) is whether having an unshielded connector for the torch's electrode is "safe" ... a moment's thought makes me think that on this DC set it would probably work in DCEN mode, so that curved gas pipe sticking out the back of the unit is actually just a "ground" (and won't kill you if you touch it). I'd prefer confirmation over real-world testing...

Then there's this hose and (ancient) torch, which I've connected to the only compatible connector:

torch_connected.jpg

Again - is this a safe set-up based on the theory of that gas pipe being the earth connector? And as this has no switch-gear it presumably has to be used with the pedal?

Then there's this other hose which he supplied:

spare_hose.jpg

It looks as though the left-hand connector is compatible with the gas-outlet pipe/earth on the rear, but does anyone recognise what would fit on the connector in the right-hand side?

I'm guessing that since the pedal has a four-pin controller -- like the on/off switch on the torch -- that it can transmit an "arc-off" signal to the box. Does anyone know off-hand how it determines whether you'd just like to run minimum amps through the torch or whether it should turn the arc off completely? Sorry if this is unclear!

Best wishes

Mike

2. Richard.

Richard. Member

Mike. The gas pipe is NOT earth.
    Your return/earth lead goes into the dins plug marked(+).
    Your torch goes into the brass plug with the torch/gas picture on the back and this is also your gas out connection. The connection to the right of it is where you plug the gas line from your cylinder.
    Ref the two plugs. The one on the front is only for your pedal plug (the one with the most pins)
    The 4 pin connection on the back is for your torch or pedal depending on what you want to use. If your using the pedal just leave the torch plug unconnected and it will work off the pedal. If you want to use the torch switch unplug the pedal and plug the torch in. Hope that clears up the connection side of things.
    Now regarding the un insulated parts your right it's not gonna kill you but it's capable of a little belt if you grab it while making the torch live and are in contact with the work return. Unlikely you'll do it but it wouldn't hurt to rap some tape round the exposed brass to be on the safe side.

Solo likes this.
  3. Richard.

Richard. Member

On your last pic you show a 3/8bsp female union and a female rectus 21 quick fit connection. Are both of these fitted to each end of a bit of pipe. If so this is the pipe that goes between your regulator and the gas incoming on the machine (not earth). Did he give you the reg to connect it too.

4. Michael G7x

Michael G7x Member

Hi Richard, thanks for taking the time to reply.

In reverse order, yes, the final picture showing two connectors are joined to the same bit of hose. I'll go and check how well it fits the gas-input on the machine.

Thank you, that's good to know.

This is also good to know.

I may well tape it up or find a suitable sleeve to stop me getting that whack. My confusion stems partly from reasoning that the unshielded gas pipe could be live.

Do you have an inkling as to how the pedal decides it's time to start and stop the arc? Perhaps any movement on the pedal away from its neutral state will cause it to initiate the arc. I'm sure I'll find out by using it but imagined there might be a dead-zone or some kind of delay-timer within the pedal.

OK ... I think I'm almost ready to go. I think I've got all the switchgear I'll need, the compatible power/gas hose. I just need a torch that fits that hose and -- ideally -- which could be cooled by an additional water hose running to that L-TEC you sold me! Do you know if there's anything on the shelf which I can just use?

Thanks

Mike

5. Richard.

Richard. Member

Yes. The pedal has two components inside it.
    A switch just like your torch and a pot for adjustment of the current.
    As soon as you apply pressure from your foot the switch is activated and your arc starts at the minimum current. Then you just drive it like a throttle. The more you press it the more current you get. Torch for that. Good luck
    Your best best is to buy a parweld progrip watercooled torch pre built to suit a kemppi. Otherwise your either buying a genuine kemppi torch (pricy) or getting one made to suit. (Adapter needed).

6. Appyasme1

Appyasme1 Member

Richard has explained the set up perfectly. Regarding the tig torch a wp 17 ideally with a 1/4 BSP fitting to go on to the machine would be ideal otherwise a 3/8 BSP fitting with an adaptor, which you already have would be ideal.

7. Richard.

Richard. Member

The issue here is he wants to go water cooled. This makes it a little more complicated because the machine design is gas through 1/4bsp. He needs an adaptor that achieves gas out the machine into the the gas line and water back into the torch line to the cooler. Parweld actually produce a torch to fit on a watercooled kemppi and if you don't like parweld torches they also make the adaptor to make others fit.

Brad93 likes this.
  8. Appyasme1

Appyasme1 Member

Sorry Richard, my mistake:ashamed:

9. Richard.

Richard. Member

Don't say sorry for Christ sakes I was only pointing out he's looking at water cooled. Your post was dead right for a gas cooled set up.

10. Michael G7x

Michael G7x Member

Hi,

Thanks very much for your help. I've dropped an email to my friendly, almost-local welding equipment supplier and fabricator of fine aluminium 12' skiffs...

Mike

Brad93 and Richard. like this.
  11. Richard.

Richard. Member

He's the man. He built my kemppi water cooled torch.

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Jim will sort you out with everything you need. Always full of helpful advice. If you're local ask him if you can take the machine down and he can make sure you've got everything in the right place.

13. Michael G7x

Michael G7x Member

Aldershot to Southampton but extraordinarily time-poor!

Advertisements