Massey Ferguson 590

1. Mac168

Mac168 New Member

Hello,

Recently-ish acquired this seemingly sound enough MF590 Multipower 4WD.

Might be optimistic as a ‘project’ thread because it is a working tractor so time/cost/benefit will probably never allow me to get to anything like a show condition. Hoping to sort out tin worm and give it a general spruce up when time allows but that’s for another day.

Anyway first order of business when I get home is the only apparent mechanical problem, a fairly substantial oil leak on the shaft seal pictured.

Could anyone tell an ignorant teuchter what part I need here?

I’m thinking that would be a “main drive shaft seal” or something along those lines?

Theres a splined coupling on the shaft held by a grub screw a few inches aft of the seal. Can it be as simple as dropping the guard, split the shaft, remove the housing where the seal is seated, slide off shaft and swap seals?

As it will be done outside I don’t want to get into an “Oh bother, I need another gasket, two bearings etc” situation halfway into the job.

Advice gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Marcus

• 17E89CAE-81DA-441F-B006-9A3F23800647.jpeg
    • DCC077DC-0E22-48F5-BC21-4A944DEDD2C4.jpeg
    • 8255A5DE-97B1-4F84-8894-D894BFD969EE.jpeg
    • FF860669-AD28-4BBC-8A06-8D9A8E48A130.jpeg
    Rannsachair likes this.
  2. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

Firstly I would remove the guard and check for excessive play in the drop box bearings, but you would hope it’s just the oil seal.

yes looks like an easy job guard off, you will probably have to disconnect the shaft at both ends to get it out the way.

now the worst part, your probably going to have to drop the transition oil, then your just left to replace the seal and it’s gasket.

wyn likes this.
  3. Scruffywelder

Scruffywelder Forum Supporter

The gasket for that housing used to be available individually from MF agents. Could be wrong but ISTR it's the same one as the PTO shaft seal housing. Experience has taught that if it's leaking badly then the shaft will probably be seal worn and a new seal will only reduce the leak. An SKF speedi-sleeve from a bearing factors might get it oil tight again but I've had mixed results with them.

Looks to be in generally decent nick for the age of it :thumbup:

4. wyn

wyn Member

Did the multipower masseys freewheel down hill when in high or low multipower?

Mac168 likes this.
  5. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

That’s correct, there is no engine braking when in low multi power.

Mac168 and wyn like this.
  6. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

Make sure the shaft has no lift in the bearings then chuck in a Couple of bottles of oil seal rejuvenator...
    This"ll do to slow it down a bit until :-
    A, u’ve driven it and worked it for a bit ...this"ll tell u what else wants fixing....
    B, until u get somewhere under cover to fix it properly.... because these jobs always get bigger.....

slim_boy_fat and 8ob like this.
  7. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Or groil, thats as good as anything to buy a bit of time :laughing:

Bob

8. m_c Member

I'm not sure I'd want to put oil seal rejuvenator into a tractor rear end, as there are some seals in there that you probably don't want to risk swelling/damaging, plus you'd likely need more than a couple bottles, considering the rear end on a 500 series contains about 50-60litres of oil.

julianthegypsy likes this.
  9. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

Is that the rear end, looks like the front diff drop box.

10. Mac168

Mac168 New Member

Sound advice, I see a drain plug on the bottom of that housing that the seal is in.. I’m assuming that the two screws on the rear side of the front axle are the full/drain plugs for the same reservoir?

I’ll have a look at that, the next gasket might also need attention too, seems oil right but I can see that it’s been instant gasketed... maybe it’ll do for now.

My local MF dealer is quite a bit away, I’m sure they will get to know me soon enough. I’m going to try and order what I need via Agriline or malpas to be ready when I get home and crack on, hopefully.

Thanks for the heads up on the shaft, that’s just the sort of thing I was hoping to find out on here

11. Mac168

Mac168 New Member

Both good points, I’ve driven it a bit but not worked with it yet to any extent. It’ll be getting used regularly through the winter feeding.
    I have a cousin close by that might let me pull it in his shed if I stop in to say hello and ‘happen’ to have the bits handy
    :laughing:

12. Mac168

Mac168 New Member

I’m always a bit wary of potions like oil seal rejuvenator, injector cleaner, DPF cleaner... Radweld :o

You’re right that is the front drop box but that is my fault, I should have said in the first post. I thought the photos were clearer but now I see they’re only clear if you know where the camera was pointing to begin with!

13. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

There will be a drain that you can see on the drop box, there should be another on the bottom of the diff housing. The filler / level is usually in one of the axle tubes roughly on centre line.

Mac168 likes this.
  14. wyn

wyn Member

I've found Agriline to be pretty quick...usually next day delivery. A bit quicker than Malpas.

Mac168 and addjunkie like this.
  15. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

@Mac168 Have you checked that the 4wd engages/disengages? Lots of heat can be generated in these trans/diffs/axles if they are stuck in 4wd. especially when tyre diameters get down a bit. You can normally feel bind on tarmac in the turn.

Bob

Munkul and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. Mac168

Mac168 New Member

Thanks, that’s the setup, two drains and there’s a fill/level on each axle tube, presumably for uneven ground. (that’s also what I meant to say but my fingers sometimes don’t quite follow the brain :thumbup:)

To be honest I can’t be 100% that the 4wd is engaging properly as I only had a flat field of wet grass to play with when I bought it, so really couldn’t be sure. Since getting it home I’ve not been anywhere that needed it so it’s not been in my head. General driving about I’m pretty sure it’s not in 4wd, not sure whether it does engage when required though.

17. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

The reason I ask is the tyres, they looked pretty scrubbed including the fronts which would indicate its in 4wd. Not such a big deal on the loose but on tarmac it can as I said before put a lot of strain on the drivetrain.

Bob

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    My favourite places to order Massey spares:
    Ben Sergeant (mftractorspares)
    Malpas online
    Agriline
    Mayhill Tractors
    As well as if you find a friendly local workshop, they will order anything you want from Kramp, Sparex, etc. Our Massey dealer is always helpful but also last port of call for genuine spares, they aren't cheap.

Does the 590 have mechanical 4wd lock or a solenoid and switch?

Mac168 likes this.
  19. Mac168

Mac168 New Member

Thats a good point, I’ll have to check it out on the hard when I’m home and make sure. All the tyres are fairly well shot but I never joined the dots with that one. Next time I buy something I’ll take a squad of you boys with me :thumbup:

I hadn’t heard of MF tractor spares or Mayhill, I’ll have a look.
    I would happily enough go to our local MF dealer, always like to deal with a face, but I have the idea (maybe the wrong idea) that a couple of seals etc for an old tractor would be more of a hassle to them than anything.

She’s a manual 4wd I think - Pull the tab out to the left behind the seat?

20. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Looks to be a very useful workhorse. love the idea of the 4wd system....must be great for field work, pulling and plowing...

JP

Advertisements