Manual ironworker or other options?

1. OllyO Member

Hi folks,
    I’m fed up of using grinders and want to invest in some tools to cut my stock.
    I’m limited on space and whilst I don’t MIND investing in something like an ironworker it would be well over spec for my work and would take up a lot of space for no good reason.
    Most common sizes for me go from 5x13 flat to around 5x100. Round and square up to about 12mm.
    I use occasionally larger stock but don’t mind doing that with a grinder as it is only occasional.
    I don’t want a power saw as I want it to be quick.

https://www.baileighindustrial.co.uk/manual-ironworker-sw-22m

Anyway, I saw these Baleigh manual ironworkers. Anyone got one?
    The claimed capacities seem crazy and I’ve read reviews that say they aren’t capable of such claims unsurprisingly. BUT perhaps if they’re being used at half their claimed capacity as it would be then they’d be up to it?

Ive also heard mention of a manual ironworker made by Kingsland but can’t find any info on them?

Any other thoughts on possible options.

2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

id go for a plasma cutter if you want quick

it cuts 3mm steel fast enough in a straight line or in a circle

id rather use a plasma on sheet material as its quicker to cut the shape out even by hand method

ive got a cheap cut50 does what i want easy enough

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. OllyO Member

Cheers gaz, yeah I don’t have a plasma cutter but have considered one a few times in the past.

Would much rather a machine I can set up with a bench/ table. Plasma seems like it’d be a bit of a faff for my application.

4. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Pair of bolt croppers in a vice...?

mtt.tr and Gareth0123 like this.
  5. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

For cutting flats and rounds with any precision you would be better off with a bandsaw or chopsaw, ironworkers are fast to use but are a pretty crude tool and will distort the cut edges a bit as they shear making extra work for a decent fit up,
    they are useful for punching flats for gatemaking etc, but even then will turn a straight bar into a curved one. I wouldn't have another one.

mtt.tr likes this.
  6. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Love our Ironworker 15mm plate just punches its way through tooling is not expensive either !, angle, flat, bar, nibbles bits as well :thumbup: not a precision took I would agree

7. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I’ve got a kingsland and oeddinghaus for sale

8. OllyO Member

Thanks all. I’m not worried about punching plate or shearing anything particularly heavy in section. I just want an appropriately sized machine for the stock I use (if there is one out there!).
    That’s why that manual shear appeals as it appears to do everything I need but I’d rather buy a used version from a reputable brand rather than use Baleigh as I always here very mixed reviews about them.

Deformation of stock isn’t too much of a concern for me. Having a quality compact tool that does the job and isn’t ludicrously over speced for my needs is what I’m aiming for.

There just seems to be a big gap in the market between bench shear size tools for very small stock and sheet and big hydraulic shears/ ironworkers.

9. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Mubea make a small machine, I think Hayco bought out Mubea (was East German) but I think tooling still available look for BF10, 21 tone (do a search)
    One went for £1K a few months ago it is basic mechanical not HYD
    The Peddinghause Brad has foe sale are quality machines don't know the tonnage of his, could be a bit big for your requirements

10. OllyO Member

Yeah I’ve seen one of those on eBay, looks pretty good. Plenty of capacity for me and compact enough. Certainly would be a good option.

11. OllyO Member

Ok I’ve look more into this and it seems there were two major manufacturers of mechanical shears/ ironworkers. Handhebelschere And peddinghaus, both German I think. They seem to have been made up until the 70/80s.
    I’ve found some nice examples on European eBay sites and am now negotiating shipping to UK.
    They all seem to be capable of max 100 x 8 flat, 60 x 60 x 6/8 angle, between 24-30mm round and square so easily heavy enough for anything I need.
    Amazing capacity for a hand operated shear!

12. OllyO Member

Here’s the one I’m currently looking at. What a beauty!

• 9DD969BC-5AFC-4916-8572-217B02572C5F.png
  13. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    mtt.tr likes this.
  14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Impressive!! :thumbup: But where is all the red-hot shrapnel some Evo saws [Rage range] produce? :laughing:

15. OllyO Member

My mate has a Bosch one and it really doesn’t like cutting any type of flat or any small round/ square stock, say less than 1/2”.
    It loves hollow section though. Goes through it beautifully. Perfect for him cos he makes furniture.
    I do t really use any hollow sections

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. SwissTony Member

UK, East Sussex
    One in the non members items for sale section.

17. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    aye you raise a good point.... it IS red hot shrapnel!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. OllyO Member

Bought the ironworker above. It’ll be on its way from Germany next week. Will let you know how I get on. Gave £300 for it so worth a shot.

Can anyone recommend a firm that can sharpen the blades?

Advertisements