Manifold cutting up ?

1. B1N9S

B1N9S Member

What would you recommend to cut up an exhaust manifold neatly ? My grinder is not tidy enough. Is there some sort of electric hacksaw or something. NOT an air saw, my comp wont run it, I've tried.

I want to cut the pipes back on one of these, to modify it. M42 manifold2.jpg

2. Ruffian Member

Recip saw but band saw would be preferable.

B1N9S and Ashley Burton like this.
  3. brightspark

brightspark Member

1mm slitting disk in angle grinder

4. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I don't know if these are still made, Desoutter made this air recip saw that uses hacksaw blades. Its bang on for cutting in tight spots like the manifolds because you can if you want use a whole hacksaw blade and being air can operate at virtually any speed you like. Just need to be able to prop/support your hand against something solid.

Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Richard.

Richard. Member

As brightspark said a 1mm slitting disc on a 4.5 inch grinder is going to do that perfectly. Neater and more controllable than a rip saw that’s for sure.
    However if for some reason you simply can’t get it in to where you need to be then use another tool. Please do not be tempted to remove the grinder guard. I’m not insulting your intelligence by saying that I’m just saying because for a ‘quick, one off’ job I’ve seen it done too many times.

6. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I would say your going to struggle to get a 4.5" grinder in the places you've marked. So recip saw is my vote!

7. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

IMG_0506.JPG A sawsal i think they are called, you can get long blades for them

B1N9S likes this.
  8. chris pruteanu Member

Take the manifold off and then use a slitting disc on a 4
    " grinder!

magnet, eLuSiVeMiTe and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. brightspark

brightspark Member

correct and wrap a bit of masking tape around where you are going to cut as a guide for accuracy :confused:

chris pruteanu likes this.
  10. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

11. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

dont you all think when looking at the tv at meny a programs wheeler dealers ,phantom works all of them dont have a guard on there grinders

12. Richard.

Richard. Member

If they lose a finger on tv I’m sure they will edit that bit out :hug:

13. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

To be fair, Mike brewer being fed into a grinder is probably something I’d like to see

14. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

^^^^^ it was edd china was the person in use and i quite like him on the program i dont know how he is in real life

Tinbasherdan likes this.
  15. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

cant stand either of them, pair of clowns

16. brightspark

brightspark Member

rich ones :)

Ashley Burton likes this.
  17. Dcal Member

I was in a Jacobs Engineering office recently and they are very "big"' on H&S to the extent that you have to watch a 10min induction video before you can go and sit in a room.
    Part of the sales bumf running on screens in reception (showing the stuff they do or are responsible for) had a 4.5 inch ginder being used without a guard.
    Just goes to show that most of the people that compile this publicity (and a lot of the H&S bods) don't have a clue what they are looking for.

Maybe it was put in to see who picks up on it but I doubt it.
    I'm sure the receptionist would be delighted to engage with some smart arse every couple of hours.
    I might make it the subject of one of their mandatory "safety moments" we have to have before every meeting.

Turbo, colnerov, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  18. Pete.

Pete. Member

Using a grinder with no guard is bad enough but using one with a slitting disc is madness because those things will have you down to the bone before you even realised it's touched. If I caught anyone on my crew using a grinder with no guard they would be out the door instantly.

eLuSiVeMiTe, 8ob, Dcal and 1 other person like this.
  19. chris pruteanu Member

I use one every day, i am careful with 125mm slitting discs, with 115mm discs they are quite easy to control! I do not condone using a small grinder without the guard, it has bitten me a few times however i find it a bit more versatile in tight spaces...

20. Richard.

Richard. Member

:vsad: This is the bit I don’t get,
    Why?? What job is so important that it makes you want to do it using dangerous equipment?
    Why not buy a more suitable tool and use it properly.

eLuSiVeMiTe and chris pruteanu like this.
Advertisements