Makita 2 x 18v lawnmower £92.99 (inc VAT)

1. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  2. Climber

Climber Member

It says in the blurb that it has an aerodynamic cover, which apparently makes it easier to push. Do you get the impression they were struggling to think of things to write?

3. AndersK Member

If it's anywhere near other Makita gear it will be great.

You are aware you need to buy batteries and charger separately, right?

Olderisbetter likes this.
  4. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

Yes i only have dewalt stuff at the moment but i keep seeing good makita stuff that is so expensive in dewalt so i might mix it all up.

AndersK likes this.
  5. AndersK Member

They might be selling off the 36V platform, a new 40V, single battery, is coming this winter I believe.

Olderisbetter likes this.
  6. Kayos

Kayos Member

All 36v stuff is 2 18v batteries these days

The bigger ones will be for the bigger tools, possibly even a cordless core drill

7. AndersK Member

IMG_20191012_31209.jpg

8. Kayos

Kayos Member

40v is us/Japan version of 36v stuff

Just like they call 18v stuff 20v

Richiew likes this.
  9. AndersK Member

We'll see what comes.

The 20V has something to do with Milwaukee claiming 18V is a trademark they own.

10. Kayos

Kayos Member

Really? I've had 18v tools since before it was cool

Ive also had 10.8v, 12v, 14.4v, 24v and 36v
    All different brands, Dewalt, Makita, Metabo, Bosch, Hitachi, Erbauer, Hilti Rotherberger etc etc

All before you could even buy Milwaukee stuff. I'm pretty sure they wont be able to trademark a voltage

daleyd and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  11. Turbo Member

You would need the high capacity batteries to use that but Makita have just brought down the price of the 5ah batteries to around £55 each. Spurious batteries are £25 each for a 5ah.

Stingray and Olderisbetter like this.
  12. earthman Member

I can't imagine that a battery powered lawn mower would be up to much, I know that those battery powered vacuum cleaners don't last long for example, surely a motor with a cutting blade on the end would be the same??

13. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Have a cordless DeWalt strimmer. It's great as good as it's 2t equivalent quieter cleaner and one 5ah will strim my 150sqm lawn.

Can't see why the mower wouldn't work

14. Kayos

Kayos Member

I've just got 3 x 5ah batteries, see how long they last on a days graft in the sds

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  15. AndersK Member

I read about it a while ago, if I find it again I'll post a link.

Might also be a sales gimmick, some use maximum voltage instead of nominal to attract buyers.

Battery lawn mowers are quite usual here but most run on larger packs, not tool batteries. Neighbour has been on battery mower for years now and he has about 500 sqm.

16. JohnH Member

UK M25 J6
    My old Makita 4 stroke leaf blower packed up the other day, after 12 years sterling service.
    I do have Makita 18v tools including a strimmer/headgtrimmer which works really well and lasts for an hour or so, which is fine. Also got a chain saw which works really well and very quietly/ On the strength of that I bought a 36v Makita blower which works okay, but is pretty noisy on the max setting, but its worst failing is the 15 minutes run time. It may be okay for doing the patio but not much more, which makes me wonder how long a mower would last. It usually takes me an hour or so to do the lawns. I dont think it would go that long, especially on a long cut.

17. Cuthy246

Cuthy246 Member

Thanks to the wonders of the far east you are no longer constrained to use manufacturers batteries, simply use one of these (warranty voiding guaranteed :laughing:)

18. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Have something similar to run my old old 18v nicad DeWalt from the new lion batteries.
    Given a new lease of life to my old tools.

Cuthy246 likes this.
  19. ukracer Forum Supporter

I though that but purchased a Ryobi for my son when he moved house at a stupid price from B and Q without charger... Got a cheap charger of ebay and its been awesome for over 3 years now. Surprised me to be fair.

Advertisements