making a new bed frame

1. james butler

james butler Member

after breaking yet another divan bed that was only 4 years old ive decided im going to make a new bed frame out of steel.
    a four poster bed would be nice but size restrictions wont permit it at the mo.
    im going to build a frame with 100x100 box in each corner so i can insert 90x90 newel posts to make a head and tail board from and in the future maybe taller posts.

heres a basic drawing of what im going to be building, some of you may have allready seen it in another section under welding square.

• IMG_2823[1].JPG
  2. james butler

james butler Member

so i was uming and arring about buying a cut off saw to do the numerous cuts which i ended up buying despite getting all the steel i needed cut anyway by the supplier:doh:
    still will come usefull at one point.
    so picked up all the steel and have started with my plate steel drilling and tapping the bolt holes so it can be bolted and unbolted together with the help of buzz

• IMG_2842[1].JPG
    • IMG_2843[1].JPG
    • IMG_2844[1].JPG
    • IMG_2845[1].JPG
    • IMG_2846[1].JPG
  3. james butler

james butler Member

just trying to work out the best way to join up the plate with the tapped holes in onto the 100x100 box. the drilled plate will be welded to the 100x50 lengths that make the front and side lengths.
    ive bought some solid dowels to go in the centre of the plates so i can enlarge the bolt holes to aid assembly and increase joint accuracy (well in my head it does).

4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

It would have been easier and more conventional to make the bed base rectangle then fasten the posts or legs to the end of it. I've never made one but I repaired one for my niece and it was made from much lighter gauge than yours but it was still sturdy, just originally not very well joined together. Drill some holes or slots in your 100x100 for the bolt to go through then weld your tapped plate to the front if that is what you are intending to do.

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

[​IMG]

:clapping: :clapping:

Parm and Hopefuldave like this.
  6. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Id have the tapped plate tacked in the right spot inside the legs, will look better at the joins

Barlidge and james butler like this.
  7. gaz_moose Member

i would also go with putting the threaded plates inside the legs, but I wouldn't bother welding them on. just weld a bit of wire onto them and dangle them down the legs when assembling, then just tuck the wire inside when done and put your plastic cap on top.

8. james butler

james butler Member

its a good idea but i want to put some 90x90 timber newal posts inside of the 100x100 to make the headboard and in the future may become a 4 post bed hence welding the threaded plates to the outside.

9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

You keep breaking beds eh???

Explanation needed.....not too graphic there are children about :laughing:

eLuSiVeMiTe, james butler and Anguz like this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

they keep fighting in the bedroom on whos getting all of the bed

11. james butler

james butler Member

erm :ashamed:

12. james butler

james butler Member

i put shelves above my bed and like a numpty i stepped onto the bed and went through the divan base, thats how ive broken the current one.
    the others died of "natural" causes

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

You are to old for jumping on the bed.

james butler likes this.
  14. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

no never to old for that one :D:whistle:

Hopefuldave and james butler like this.
  15. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

I was not going to say about him, bat man suit and leaping from the top of the wardrobe.

16. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    My bed is made out of 11 europallets - 120x80 - each one will hold 4 tons! They weigh 33kg each though!

17. james butler

james butler Member

got a bit further, i should have made a jig that i could bolt down to the miller be as my plates weren't all drilled perfectly in line so the m10 bolts don't line up perfectly if you mix and match plates.
    so i made a much more careful job of putting a solid dowel in th centre of the tapped plates and enlarged the holes in the other plates to 12mm to give some of play so if the plates get mixed up they should all still fit each other and bolt holes line up.
    hope that made sense??:rolleyes:

• IMG_2887.JPG
    • IMG_2888.JPG
  18. james butler

james butler Member

next i drills holes in the 100x100 to allow the bolts to pass through and bolted the plates on from the inside so the threaded plates were securely held on the outside ready to be welded on.

• IMG_2889.JPG
    • IMG_2890.JPG
    • IMG_2891.JPG
    • IMG_2892.JPG
    • IMG_2893.JPG
    fixerupper and fizzy like this.
  19. james butler

james butler Member

then multiply the same thing 3 more times, so i now have all four corners done.
    just got to weld the non threaded plates to my lengths of 100x50 to make sides and top n bottom.

• IMG_2900.JPG
    fizzy likes this.
  20. james butler

james butler Member

I'm thinking of putting some 5mm rubber sheet between the bolted plates so it should be able to accommodate any inaccuracy in my welding and obsorb movement that make create squeaks (pet hate of metal frame beds!)

fizzy likes this.
Advertisements