Machine Setup

1. Slimline2020 Member

Hi I am new to Mig Welding
    I have done lots of home work and I am ok with gas setup and what wire to use which is 0.8mm for mild steel.

My machine is not the most straightforward things to use as the manual says nothing about settings etc.
    I don't know what the dial is next to the power button I think it's the volt setting control but it says 0-4 any ideas on what these numbers are and how many volts per setting? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

• IMG_20190213_192937.jpg
  2. Kent

Kent Member

1 being the least umph, 4 being the most umph.
    Wind it up to max on this switch and max on wire and just work the wire back keeping a short stick out of wire and try a weld (dont forget to connect the return lead) till it gives an even crackle and does not spit n stutter. Record the setting
    Next step down do the same etc etc

I am assuming you have gas shielding or the appropriate flux core wire

3. matt1978

matt1978 http://www.uk.masters-of-speed.de/

Just zoomed in on your data plate, you can see minimum and maximum voltage levels.

Position 1 will be 16v
    Position 4 will be 21.5v

Positions 2-3 will obviously be inbetween the min and the max but it’s not necessarily linear.

It says the current range is 60-150 amps. Unfortunately you won’t be welding much at the thinner end of the material thickness range with a starting current of 60 amps

123hotchef likes this.
  4. Slimline2020 Member

Hey,
    Thanks for the great reply. I am ok about not welding thinner as I didn't really intend to go under 1-1.5mm I mainly chose it for bigger thickness and tbh 2.5mm is about as much as I want to go in terms of max. I bought Argon Co2 Mix to help in better results. Still learning and I have a long way to go. Next for me is position and wire speed. I will be welding 2.5mm square tubing With 0.8mm Steel Wire and Argon Co2 Mix I was told best method would be short circuit welding as spray welding is only used for materials above the 3mm marker. Is that a good way to go?

matt1978 likes this.
  5. matt1978

matt1978 http://www.uk.masters-of-speed.de/

With 0.8mm wire, try it on position 1 and turn the wire down to the minimum then gradually increase the feed rate until the wire is ‘almost’ continuously touching the weld pool. You should hear a pleasant crackling noise which some people say is akin to frying bacon. That will be short circuit/dip transfer.

You can then put it up to position 2 and increase the wire feed pro-rata

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    davidjohnperry likes this.
  6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard :waving:

7. Slimline2020 Member

Hey Matt that's awesome advice really appreciate that.
    Many Thanks

matt1978 likes this.
  8. Slimline2020 Member

Hey and thanks!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Slimline2020 Member

Hey all
    I have one more little problem. When I set my mig to setting 2 my wire feed to max it gives 244 inches per minute if I keep it on max but turn down the setting to 1 it gives half of that. I don't know if that's normal or if some machines do that? I would of liked full control over my wire speed but hey I will wait to see what you guys say.

Thanks

Advertisements