Lvlp or mini hvlp spray gun

1. Reabo

Reabo New Member

Hi guys I am looking at getting a spray gun for painting motorcycle frames and petrol tanks, nothing bigger. I have an old small compressor, an abac d908 with a 24l tank. I don't want to go bigger coz of size. I believe the cfm is between 6.5-8 but maybe one of you lot knows more. I have a regulator and air/oil trap in the line.
    My question is will an lvlp gun be better or a mini hvlp, and will the compressor cope or turn asthmatic half way through?.
    I will be painting primer, base coat and clear coat so maybe separate guns for each?

2. 123hotchef Member

Hi I have never used a LVLP gun before I have a couple of fastmover cheap mini HVLP guns that I use for small jobs they work well enough for my needs

8ob, Parm, ronan and 1 other person like this.
  3. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    no experience of LVLP but I have both a conventional spraygun and a HVLP, both guns run just fine on a medium sized compressor for extended periods, so painting motorcycle bits you'll be fine with whatever.

I got the HVLP gun with a 1.4 tip and it's a good compromise as an all rounder, it's definitely best on primer and base, but can make a beautiful job on lacquer when set right, I did a whole car with it years ago and lovely finish without any orange peel. It's just tricky to get the lacquer coverage right without any hangs or runs, would have been easier with a smaller fluid tip I think.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Reabo

Reabo New Member

Thanks for the help guys,
    123hotchef what size compressor do you use for the fastmovers?

5. Ianb Member

A mini gun will be fine for motorcycle parts and will also make I easier trying to get in tight areas and the inner sides of frame tubes etc.

6. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    1.2mm fastmover is ideal and great value , can get a selection of them for not too much

123hotchef likes this.
  7. 123hotchef Member

I use to just use my 50L one

Advertisements