Low Amp

1. north Member

Just wonder if you what welds at 15 Amps can show Pictures how it looks...Show metal thickness...Do you recnogise how your car loocks after... I welded for many years on old cars...Never used low settings...tackwelding at about 100 amp...My old Telwin has settings in 4 steps 40-120 Amp... most times a use step 3... About 100 amp...Works great...With my new Telvin inverter i can set it for 0,7 mm metal but i dont know amp...Works fine....So Pictures would be nice when you use 15 amp...Oh yes from Sweden...We use high Power i suppose... :drunk:

2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

3. north Member

Okey gaz1...But i want Pictures of it... How is the weld with 15 amp...is it useful in the reality when you works on rusty cars ... :sheep:

4. north Member

Is it usefull to use 15 amp, or is it a Selling thing... I am from Sweden and is a fast welder...never used extrem low settings ... :welder:

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

I dont own one so it would be unfair for me to rate them

however someone else might post up more info on those machines

6. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Mine oxford, does down to 20 amps, have used it once to repair the tin tray in the bottom of a large dog cage, with .8 wire.

It did weld, I ran a bead, about 2 inches long. Metal was .7 thick. Bead very narrow and proud. Looked awful. Be a better weld with a bit more juice and short runs, big tacks.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  7. chris y Member

Durham England
    I've got a Portamig, its less that 2 years old.
    I weld a mixture of car body and general fabrication, just hobby use.

I tried the lowest settings just to see what advantage it would give me, just as a trial I butt welded 2 sheets of 409 stainless 0.38 thick, because its the thinnes material I had.
    I managed to do it, not easy, but in the end my conclusion is that for doing any actual useful work I'll never need those lower settings, they are more of a sales gimmick than a brilliant feature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Also found higher current and faster travel speed gave better results on thin sheet.

Richard. and Richiew like this.
  9. daedalusminos Member

When I bought my Oxford 200 (min standard 20A), I asked whether they could fit a min 15A transformer, like the Portamig...they said no problem but you won't need it - they're correct, I'm seam welding 0.9mm ms on about 30A.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  10. north Member

Wery fine Pictures Chris y :thumbup: .Pictures talk. exactly my own experiens of welding at low amp :waving: .. Maybe Little rubisch English. But try to write in Swedish ,not easy :welder:

chris y and addjunkie like this.
  11. north Member

I will say welding at 15 amp is rubisch .....You will be disapointed....15 ampn dont work in real Life.. Real Life is welding rusty cars . YOU NEED JUICE.

Shedendman and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  12. north Member

mY OLD tELWIN 25 YEARS OLD 40-120 amp. four steps...never used lowest settings. i am a fast welderener. Just try to weld on a rusty car with 15 amp. You gone learn a lesson. not possible to do what. :o

13. TurtleDude

TurtleDude Member

Lite för mycket öl ikväll? :drunk:

14. north Member

Little trouble with caps lock i suppose. Excuse me. :scared: .

15. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Also depends on other factors,ie position,wire size 0.6 or 0.8,setup joint etc.
    The Amps are nothing in the end,its the voltages,you could have 2 different welders both stating lowest 30amps,but ones at say 15v the other at 19v
    Thin stuff i go more juice short tacks about 4-5 zaps let cool or move to another area

16. north Member

Shedendman... Look at chrys y . Portamig seems to be a wellbuild machine. But 15 amp. What to do with that. Lock at big companies,they dont have 15 amp. If you weld a car sit and seemweld you dont recnogise your car..Maybe it will be a car you kvickly will sell. :drunk:

Advertisements