Lorch MicorMIG 400 Keeps Randomly Stopping

1. oliwb Member

So, as per the subject really. We have a Lorch MicorMig 400 with a SWF and the control-pro panel. It randomly and intermittently stops for no apparent reason when laying down a bead. It's just started doing it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Nothing is displayed on the panel and the power is fine so not a fuse going. I guess it's a bit like it's detected something and decided to stop welding?! It's a brand new Binzel MB501 torch. We're using it in manual mode.

The machine is an older machine bought secondhand. It's still in warranty but that takes time etc and we need it to just work...now.

Any suggestions where to start?

2. matt1978

matt1978 http://www.uk.masters-of-speed.de/

Have you tried changing the torch? Are you sure it’s not been inadvertently switched into stitch mode?

In the absence of an error code I would highly doubt that it’s the machine which is causing it.

Brad93 and gordon stephenson like this.
  3. oliwb Member

Hi Matt, so - yeah we put the old torch back on and getting the same issue. We also swapped over wire and it seemed to go (it was bad with 625 and then a 410 wire but happy enough running some metal powder-core....all Bohler wires). We did notice one word thing, does the machine have some sort of automatic cut out if it sees a sudden drop in resistance? When setting up one of the new wires on a bit of scrap I found that it sort of shorted out (I think it was probably in the creep phase) but rather than keep going and burning it off the machine just stopped. I wonder if it has some built-in trickery that detects a 'short' and prevents it. Maybe on our 625 & 410 setting (spray) it thinks it's away to short when in fact it wouldn't....?

4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

First steps:

Have you check the condition of your earth lead and terminals?
    Actually pull back the rubber on the dinse plugs and check.

Have you checked the wiring in the plug? I’ve seen some right weird stuff in places I’ve worked.

5. matt1978

There is a error code if the machine detects a short circuit (dead short) within the complete circuit (inside the machine, interpass hose, torch) and that’s E25-1. But that error code would flag up and you wouldn’t be able to continue welding until restarting the machine and removing the dead short.

What rollers do you have on the 625? It’s usually a difficult wire to feed so it’s better with knurled rollers. If everything seemed to be working fine with the “normal” wires I’d be more inclined to suggest a feeding issue

6. oliwb Member

Thanks gents. Getting more & more convinced there's some software involved. We've checked all the obvious stuff. We are running knurled rollers (brand new out the packet on Tuesday straight from Lorch). It seems to keep doing at random points during long runs (we're doing a 625 overlay on pipe). It's all fine and then randomly just stops welding. It's like if you let go of the trigger but haven't. Tried in 2t & 4t which makes no difference.

7. matt1978

Can you make a video? Are you sure there are no error codes?

I know it’s frustrating but there is nothing in the software that would cause this to happen. There must be a signal going to the machine telling it to stop (eg via the trigger pins)

Also please send me some pictures of the set up

8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I’ve had this happen on welding plants at work. Including their S5.

the power in there is dire, verging on damn right dangerous some of the wiring and sockets.

Check your incoming power. You might be getting surges or dropouts.

Advertisements