Looking for feedback

1. Alec240380 New Member

Alright guys I am looking at purchasing my first welder or welders I have looked at various multi purpose units from parweld and esab my budget all in is approx £1000 so my question is do I buy separate mig and tig what would you guys recommend I'm open to any suggestions. I would mainly be using it for small projects some alloy and some stainless nothing too heavy duty.

Cheers in advance

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

If you are looking to do thin aluminium you will be spending your budget plus some on a tig welder and argon. Have you done any welding? You need to sort out your priorities then make a decision on what you need.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  3. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

I fully agree with the above statement, but I'll go a bit further you'll be looking at double your budget by the time you've purchased the machine, gas, mask, filler rods, consumables and all the other bits that you need but don't realise as yet, just for the tig unit.

4. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Esab Rebel or Double+ something more the budget and go with fronius stuff but in this case you cannot get cheap consumables because fronius use property consumables only
    No euro torches o whatever you want to replace the parts
    Esab makes the rebel in various versions euro torch or miller/Lincoln /us style tile of connection

5. Alec240380 New Member

Thanks for the input guys looks like it will just be a decent mig first then save up the pennies for a decent tig unit what would be the recommendation for a mig unit Is it worth me going for an Esab rebel 215 or would a dedicated mig be a better option.

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

A dedicated machine is better than a multiprocess one
    That's my opinion but I can't say that for sure
    So if you have a stick welder
    Buy a dedicated MIG welder
    Or maybe a dedicated AC/DC Tig

If you are on the budget go for a multiprocess welder

7. Alec240380 New Member

To be honest not really on a budget but not sure how often I will use the tig unit but the mig would be used more frequent just starting out and I prefer to just buy once instead of upsizing numerous times. I have a feeling that once I start doing a bit of tig welding I will get addicted and start all sorts of projects you can never have enough projects on the go :doh: might even get one finished. What would you recommend mig wise would need to be single phase supply size isn't an issue as I am a sparky to trade. Just so many options out there new and second hand there is a couple of welding suppliers near to me who also deal in second hand units but I am a bit lost where to start and oviously limited with needing single phase.

8. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

If I am in your same situation I would like to search a transformer based unit
    I've seen some fronius used MIG set on eBay but I'm sure that are 3 phase machines
    So I think that if you get a fronius transteel 2200 or the Esab Rebel 215ic or maybe a kemmpy
    It's a good starting point but just buy the best unit that you can afford

9. Alec240380 New Member

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Memmeddu likes this.
  10. Glen Morgan New Member

I am in much the same position. I have done quite a bit of gasless MIG and want to get a better gas MIG but also fancy having a go at TIG, probably just for steel and stainless, so DC TIG would be fine. I will probably order one of the GYS Multipearl models which are multi-process. Lincoln also do a Bester multi-process machine but the price looks too good to be true.

Memmeddu likes this.
  11. sg66 Member

And don't blink because before you know it you will have 5 welders.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Alec240380 New Member

I Have looked at a lot of units the parweld XTM 201DI seemed a good machine but I cant find any good reviews or info on them there is one on ebay for £1000 new and it comes with a free tig torch which all looks good would just like some more info on the unit. I did call the company selling it and they had a lot of praise for the unit but of course they are selling it but I suppose they also have to warranty the item so no reason to lie. Too much choice out there

Advertisements