Log Arch

1. I'm planning to build a log arch to go behind my tractor, something like this:
    [​IMG]
    I'm struggling to find what the load rating is on the 22 X 11-8 tyres that are commonly available?

Scruffywelder and Olderisbetter like this.
  2. wyn

wyn Member

100-160kg

Wendelspanswick likes this.
  3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Seems low?

My seat of the pants-o-meter suggests at least 250kg each... :dontknow:

4. Turbo Forum Supporter

A pair of the tyres they put on single axle agricultural trailers would be more suitable, probably rated for a few tonnes. Have you anywhere local that supplies or fits commercial tyres, they would be the best folk to ask.

5. That's poor, I guess I need at least 600-750kg across the axle.

6. There was a place advertising trailer tyres in the Agricultural Trader paper, it's finding the hubs and rims to go with it.
    It might be easier to butcher an existing trailer.

7. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

750 kg or 900 kg on the bay of evil for ATV wheels and axles kits, then you go to twin axle. Last time I bought some you need to be careful as the tyres arnt always rated the same as the axles.

8. MoreWellie Member

what about land rover rear stub axles and hubs with standard steel wheels, need a little bit of filling in to stop water and muck getting in through the axle hole but all standard widely available parts

9. Turbo Forum Supporter

I regularly see small agricultural trailers advertised on gumtree for small money. The body will usually need repaired but you only need the hubs & chassis, some of which you can use for your trailer frame as it's usually heavy c section steel plus it will have a ready made drawbar & a towing eye. :cool:

Scrap the body & you'll get some money back! ;)

10. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Member

I have an ifor williams 4 wheel trailer plate says it can carry something like 2150 kg and the wheels look the same size so they must be around 500kg each so maybe 1000 kg on the axle.

11. dcocks

dcocks Forum Supporter

That size in a standard 2 ply quad tyre is 121kg

12. So in my quest to find some suitable donor stub axles and wheels for the log arch someone has offered me a Sankey trailer for free. It's perfect but it seems sacrilege to cut up a Sankey trailer even though the body has holes in it.

Turbo likes this.
  13. james butler

james butler Member

load rating should be stamped onto the side wall

14. pcwizme Member

Even a rotten sankey is worth a good wedge, they often go for 500 plus on Withams (admittedly in a fairly good state) so I could see you getting 200 ish. Would a trailer for a road roller work for the log arch? they often come up at farm / plant auctions

Advertisements