Loc Line alternatives

1. northwest Member

United Kingdom
    I need to build a new coolant supply line for one of my mills. Ideally a two nozzle coolant supply with individual valves on a magnetic base.

I was pretty shocked at how much genuine Loc Line stuff now costs :o Has anyone tried any of the alternative brands?

2. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    Put " Loc line tube " into Amazon for cheaper alternatives .

£ 18 a foot for the genuine stuff does not seem overly expensive against 2.5 gallons of diesel

3. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

A mate of mine found that some of the swimming pool foam float things that are about 3" round and 4ft long (like pipe lagging) have a length of this stuff up the middle!!

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

Hopefuldave likes this.
  5. cheb Member

I had some of the cheap version from Ebay. It was tolerable, it never quite bent to where I wanted it, even trying to allow for stiction and bend retraction. Worse was that individual units would split when being adjusted.

If I was to replace it, I went back to a flexi metal tube with plastic tube on the end, I'd be inclined to get the good stuff.

DAPPH likes this.
  6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I have tried quite a few of the knock off Loc Line brands and always ended up going back to the real stuff. The knock off ones I have used have all been poor and were forever coming apart when repositioning.
    Maybe they have improved over the last few years but the money I have wasted on rubbish would have been better spent getting the right stuff in the first place.

RichardM, indy4x, DAPPH and 1 other person like this.
  7. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    I seem to recall that Fusion 3D printing via Prusa / Maker have the details /programme for you to print out these nozzles and couplings in ABS plastic . So if you know someone who has a printer and is able to help you , you could be onto a winner .

8. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

My lathe came with a short length of what I assume was a knock off, must have been good enough for Brewdexta but I kept breaking it. :dontknow:

9. brewdexta

brewdexta Member

Yorkshire
    I must admit, it didn't come up to my expectations but didn't know of any better at the time. I haven't got suds up and running on the Triumph yet, when I do I will probably use the old fashioned style solid pipes, some bits cam with it.

Maker likes this.
  10. 8ob

8ob Member

My mill had what looked like a 2` length of soft copper brake pipe on a compression fitting. It worked well and I only changed it because it was ugly.

Bob

11. northwest Member

United Kingdom
    I use coolant on the Harrison but I use the original delivery system as my coolant is neat cutting oil, water thin especially for the job. On the big Mill I use a system called Fog Buster: https://stoneycnc.co.uk/fogbuster-spray-cooling-system/ This is a total loss system and use a cutting oil/coolant made by Rocol, this works well.

The new Mill is CNC and I need to have a flood system on this so I have built a tray and tank (pics to follow) and a good friend of mine has supplied me some coolant which is supposed to be the Mutts Nuts:

It is called Blaser Synergy 735, not the cheapest stuff in the world (the Rocol total loss stuff is actually more expensive) but mixed properly with de-ionised water it is supposed to last forever. I am just experimenting with delivery systems right now and I like Bobs idea of small bore copper tube.

indy4x likes this.
  12. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

I had no idea what make the stuff on my Matsuura is. I had a look at the ones I could find and they have Jeton writen on them.

Advertisements