Linisher sanding belt size?

1. julianf

julianf Member

Ive got one of those generic linishers that everyone has -

[​IMG]

That one isnt mine, but im sure theyre all pretty much the same - ive seen loads on this forum.

Im down to my last belt (of the pile that was given to me years ago) and it seems to have no sensible markings on it to inform me what to re-order.

P80x which must be the grit, and

147 (?)

Can anyone tell me what i need to buy?

Thank you.

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

run a piece of string round the belt and measure it . a common size is 36 inch by 4 inch wide . I made one donkeys years ago. looks identical :whistle::laughing:the one in the photo isn't a copy there original and came out over 50 years ago heres my 6 inch one no picture of the 4 inch

• DSCF1276.JPG
  3. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    Is this any use …. it has a band size on it or the people selling it may have information for your asking ?

https://www.sawandbits.com/ajh-bandfacer-linisher/

I'd run a steel tape round the stationary machine to get the length of the band length as string can be a bit stretchy or you can't decide just how long th bit of string is .

pedrobedro, nickk and Alan Reynolds like this.
  4. brightspark

brightspark Member

that's the 6inch in your link the other op s one looks like the 4inch

5. julianf

julianf Member

Thanks for the replies.

If its not a simple "get this one" ill just split an old belt and measure the length that way. Id just thought they were more generic, and someone would be able to say "get this" and that would be that.

Again, thank you.

6. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

Like brightspark says it'll be 4" x 36" most likely. A very common metric size for this is 100 x 915. I've got roughly the same model as you and bought new belts for it yesterday.

Edit - Screwfix sell them for a couple of quid each (about the going rate) if you want to try one locally.

7. julianf

julianf Member

ooohh... I work from home, but my partner loves it when i send her off to screwfix to pick stuff up. Its generally not *that* far from where she is wanting to go.... :)

8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Mines 6x48 but that won't help. I have been known to buy the wrong size belt on many occasions, 6x72 is also a common size. Yours is 6x42 according to the very first hit on Google... :rolleyes:

9. julianf

julianf Member

Just measured an old belt (cut to make measuring easy)

43" x 6"

...and now, after you said 48, ive just gone back to check if i mis-read the 8 as a 3, but, no, it is 43!

10. julianf

julianf Member

Hmm... the best i can find is about £6 each?

Makes me wince - there have been times in the past when ive loaded a fresh belt, and then snagged it within moments!

11. brightspark

brightspark Member

there a bit thin on the ground even at the sales and are expensive. I have stacks of 4 inch and got them as cheap as chips probably a quid or less each

12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London

Well they're probably 1090mm these days (42.9inches)

13. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    1090x150 by the sounds then, a decent all be it more expensive Zirconia belt will outlast the red al-ox ones time and time over.

14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I always buy zirconia belts. Even me! Expensive but they last forever.

15. Ali

Ali Member

16. julianf

julianf Member

I seem to rarely change them as the abrasive fails - far more often is that they get a hole in them and start to tear up.

And im not even being especially brutal with them, however, my belt speed is probably a bit low, and hence may be more prone to catching, i guess.

The zirconia ones are about £15 a hit, when purchased in packs of 4...

17. Bnd abrasives need to buy a few of each size and grit but you can buy any grit and any size belt you want from them

18. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I bought some off eBay cheap just recently. Four belts 40, 60, 80, 120 grit except I ended up with 2 60's and no 80 and:

[​IMG]

I won't be recommending that seller...

19. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    How on earth do you get a hole in it? They must be pretty poor quality. :whistle:

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  20. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Did wonder. Rare to ruin a belt on my big sander. Usually only by hitting a burried nail or screw and shouldn't be an issue with a linisher

Advertisements