Lightweight galvanised steel

1. desmo11225 Forum Supporter

Hi Everyone
    I am looking for very lightweight galvanised steel ,the type used for shelving but flat , it is to screw onto the back of half inch mdf to stop it bending in the middle along its length 8 feet ,needs to be light but very rigid . Would someone be able to help me please. thank you in advance. desmo11225

2. piman Member

Hello Desmo,

I think you are asking a lot. 8 ft of 1/2" mdf is very flexible. Screwing metal to tehe back is difficult as the MDf deoesn't take screws very well in that plane, (Just like screwing into end grain of wood, it's not very strong). I would suggest the best way is angle so that can be screwed into the lower face, even then it will probably need to be something like 3mm thick aluminium or so to keep it rigid and light.

Alec

3. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

Considering what you want to do and support, you would probably be better off using 19mm ply and I doubt there'll be much difference in cost...

WorkshopChris likes this.
  4. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

rtcosic likes this.
  5. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

My sister used 3/4” MDF for some shelves, 12” wide, 8’ long, with three angle brackets, in her garage. Over the last six months they have sagged nigh on two inches between brackets, even with minimal weight on. Plywood wouldn’t have done that.

6. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    tradionally you lip shelves, glue and screw a 50+ mm deep mdf lip on

like this

[​IMG]

Olderisbetter likes this.
  7. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

Been there done that got the Tshirt that fell off the shelf, MDF is fantastic for cost effective building but when it comes to long spans you need support point or to get something with a grain or laminated layers, I did some 6 foot MDF shelves recently and had to add 3mm wall 18mm square ally box section front and rear, Next week i am doing some 2400mm x 235 mm x 18mm clear pine as i dont have the time to mess about with engineering a way round the sag and flexing, Not cheap but saves a lot of running round and failing later on.
    20200115_154937.jpg

Ali likes this.
  8. Morrisman

I’ll point that out to my sister. it :D

9. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    bigegg and Seadog like this.
  10. Morrisman

Well “the type used for shelving but flat” is hardly a brilliant feckin description of what is required!

Glad to see you know exactly what he wants though.....

mtt.tr likes this.
  11. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

fh brundle do sheets from 0.8mm.- its as bendy as mdf though.
    you'll need to add pleats, or go to 3mm+.

or use 6mm aluminium.?

if you use steel, i suggest gluing it to the mdf: theres an impact glue i've used called thx38(?) to glue steel to plywood to make a caravan door. *incredibly* strong.

<edit: tx528 impact adhesive.
    thx38 is a droid from star wars. :D>

Olderisbetter likes this.
  12. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Calm down Gloria "I am looking for very lightweight galvanised steel" was the initial question.

13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Here we go again..... :whistle:

Homer+popcorn.gif

14. desmo11225 Forum Supporter

Thank you everyone for all your comments, I'm sorry that my discription was a bit vague , I can see what we need but it is hard to discribe it , I'm sure we'll get there in the end . Thank's again . desmo 11225

15. RWD3M Member

I have some galvanised steel sheet at 20 swg so it's out there some where. Unfortunately I put mine through the guillotine to get them in the car (they were originally 8' x 4') :doh:

16. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

companies which make ductwork get it in 3mx1.5m sheets (or 8x4).
    fh brundle stock it in various thicknesses.

RWD3M likes this.
Advertisements