Light wiring

1. Kram

Kram Member

Noticed all the newer light fittings/units, none of them have space for the lighting ring/switch connections, only L, N & E.

I dont like it, but on two lights I replaced with LED units, made the ceiling hole a bit bigger, made the ring connections with choc block and poked it up into the hole. How is this supposed to be done?

2. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

It is a bit crap ,I did the same with wago connectors , I suppose you could put the junction Box above on a joist or what ever then come through the ceiling with flex?

3. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

It's bad isn't it?
    I hate doing light fittings like that and made the mother in law send some Argos ones back as I just couldn't fit them safely. I don't like stuffing connector blocks up into the ceiling either.
    Wago do some nice small snap fit connectors but they should still be contained in something rather than just stuffed up into the hole. :dontknow:

Parm and jimbo84 like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Robotstar5 likes this.
  5. Kram

Kram Member

No chance of that fitting into the 1.5" hole. The lighting main wires have no spare length either.

Next time I think I'll use non insulated crimps and heatshrink.

6. MattF

MattF Member

I've just been through this exact thing. :D Just been & picked up some choc boxes to enclose the choc block above the ceiling.

7. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

I know the type you mean, they're garbage these fitting, usually class II as well making it even more difficult to install them while maintaining the class II rating, not too bad if you're in a newbuild where they've looped through the switch and you just have the one t+e at the ceiling point but still way too small.

Shouldn't be any basic insulation outside of an enclosure so shoving the looped cables into the loft/floor space above is a bit of a no no but the majority are done like this, same with downlighters in most cases as there is the same issue there with connection sizes.

Having to pull up the floor above to fit a light fitting safely is a joke.

They should pull the rubbish from sale as not safe/fit for purpose.

There was a time were they made some fittings that would fit over a ceiling rose, can't remember the manufacturer though.

Those wago boxes are bigger than they look and would require some making good of the ceiling or pulling up of the floor above to install but you're right in that a maintenance free joint is what is needed.

I believe the quickwire ones are smaller but not had one in my hand.

https://www.quickwire.co.uk/

dobbslc and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. MattF

MattF Member

Hence why I currently have a portion of floor up in my bedroom. :D

jimbo84 likes this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Even with the smaller ones? :dontknow:

10. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

You're looking at a 55mm diameter hole for the small ones too.

I think the Quickwire ones are much smaller though.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. MattF

MattF Member

Laid on a 4" brush for scale.

15988782547282723745847960384817.jpg

brightspark likes this.
  12. julianf

julianf Member

screwfix has two styles of wago box. if you search for "wagobox" you get one type, and if you search for "wago box" you get a different.

the small ones are pretty small. its the big square ones you need to avoid if limited on space

Advertisements