Light of day, at last.

1. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Finally got the 850 out of the workshop and back outside, with its new bits on.
    A quick run around the back roads left me feeling quite happy with the engine, but less happy with the state of the roads. It helps to have set the the air pressure in the shocks, of course. I... umm.. totally overlooked that and every bump and ripple in the road had me chattering my teeth and cursing the state of the tarmac.
    Anyway, took it out later in the darkness to check the new headlamp out, and as I suspected the Cibie headlight is a great match for the LED bulb. The beam pattern is really quite good on dip and penetrating on main. The auxiliary lamps are the same as they were before of course, and chime in to illuminate the nearside ditches and far off road surface.
    Only thing I found was the Pantera fairing sits on the Vetter bracket not quite exactly the same as the Vetter did (no great surprise there) and will need a slight correction to the angle of tilt. As it is, I ran out of headlight adjustment, so I'll have to raise the front mount slightly. No big deal, it was never an off-the-shelf thing anyway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stuvy

stuvy Member

Lovely retro looking bike

3. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Finally got around to giving it a clean.
    It decided to reward me by giving me a dodgy starter.
    That's tomorrow's little job, then.
    lights and cleaned 02.jpg

4. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

:thumbup: i see you now have new spotlights...they must light up the road well

stuvy likes this.
  5. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

They certainly do. However, they're not fully adjusted yet and I've got to slightly re-jig the fairing mounts so that affects their back bracketry. Still a work in progress.

julianthegypsy, stuvy and roofman like this.
  6. Wallace

Wallace Member

Does the engine slow down when you put the lights on? :D

7. stuvy

stuvy Member

No it just cuts out at junctions

8. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

All LEDs carefully matched to the reflectors to avoid dazzle. When all three are on they're only drawing about 9A, which doesn't tax the wheezy auld alternator much.
    The spots are originally early model Raydyot Fireballs, and years ago I noticed they were 7" spots, and always wondered if a standard 7" H4 reflector would fit. It does, with a minor bit of molishment. The shells are now hosting Hella reflectors.
    So what I have there are three headlights, two of which are switched in and out as wanted.

ronan, roofman, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  9. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Hah. That's exactly what happened when I first fitted twin H4 headlights to the other GS850. It was great on the motorway, but in town it was gradually draining the battery, so that it eventually cut out. After disconnecting one light and a bump start, it was back to normal. That convinced me of the need for a voltmeter on everything.

Wallace likes this.
  10. Wallace

Wallace Member

Nice, for some reason I seem to remember Suzuki generators and rectumfriers burning out when extra load added.

stuvy likes this.
  11. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

think i have some of the 7inch raydots spots in the shed

12. stuvy

stuvy Member

Are the ray dots the ones ith purple centres

13. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Other way around. The extra load does the stator good, as it's not having to deal with unused current that the reg/rec is firing back into it. The RR was an answer to a problem of Suzuki's own making, as the permanent magnet alternator was cheap to produce and the shunt reg/rec worked well enough for long enough to get the bikes out of warranty. It was a Jabberwocky design though. Modern electronics have given rise to the series reg/rec which simply cuts the charging current off dead when it's reached the setpoint and spares the stator windings from being over-stressed.
    The old design had the stator running at full belt all the time and as a result they burned out, sooner or later.

If they're the metal shell type I'd be interested, if you want rid.

Blue or purple spot was a thing back then - never had one so can't say if it was any better than anything else. The classic boys pay through the nose for orginal blue spot Lucas spots.

Wallace and stuvy like this.
  14. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

not sure will have a look in the shed

15. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Seems like a common problem, I had to replace the brushes in the starter motor every couple of years on my GS850. First time I assumed was normal wear, but when it went a couple of years later I stripped the motor and a friend skimmed the comm to make sure it was not that, never cured the problem, just got good at making new brushes using Lucas parts instead of paying Suzuki's eye watering spares prices.

16. Robotstar5

I've still got the "old" system on my 2006 DL650, I looked into modifying the wiring to allow me to turn off the headlamps if I wanted until a bit of research found they needed to be on permanently to load the alternator and stop it cooking itself :(

stuvy likes this.
  17. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

The last dodgy starter I took off simply had a build-up of carbon dust mixed with oil vapour which had stuck the brushes into their holders. Plenty of life left on the brushes, but the springs were on their last legs, so that got thrown in a box for rebuild, which hasn't happened yet. As far as I can see, the best way to get the springs is with a new brush backplate complete with brushes, for less than it would cost for a pair of Suzuki brushes.

The Shindengen SH775 is the reg-rec of choice for older (up to 35A) PM stators. It was developed by Shindengen to address this issue and first saw service in Polaris ATVs and Skidoo craft, before appearing on bikes. In the meantime some keen-eyed souls on GSResources and Triumphrat had discovered it. There's another more current version factory fitted to some larger 'Zuks now, capable of 50A. I unrecall the part number, though.
    Turns out the cheap and nasty design of PM alternator has been fitted to a lot of makes and models in the past forty years and it's STILL causing problems on Aprilias, Ducatis, Triumphs, etc. The cure for all of them is a series regulator.
    Oddly, there are some bikes that use the PM alternator with a shunt reg and never (or rarely) suffer from it. Essentially the exact same setup as the troublesome ones, so who knows what's going on there. Probably some lucky design element that managed to avoid the pothole.
    If you fancy fitting an SH775 drop me a PM and I can put you in the right direction - there are a lot of fakes out there.

18. Robotstar5

I did look into fitting a reg-rect after reading about them on the Vstrom forum, but never got round to it.

19. Robotstar5

@Farside are these exhaust gaskets any good to you, I think they are for the GS850 but you will need to look up the part number: 14181 - 11020

SGPExGaskets.jpg

Wallace likes this.
  20. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Those are, indeed, the original ones. Superceded by 14181-01D00 which threw the search out.
    Sure, I'd be interested in those. One way or another, exhaust gaskets get used.
    Let me know how much you want for them.

Advertisements