Lidl Specials this Thursday.

1. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    Helmets for £23, they are actually rather good, the led worklight only comes on when the background light drops to dark so it a bit of a gimmick, might be usefull if you could get it to work when you wanted

flame model for those that like that sort of thing

bundles of little locking clamps cant have enough clamps even if they are cheapy little things

magnets if you like collecting swarf and grinder dust

rods...last ones i tried were ***** difficult to start and keep going

2. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

The magnets are certainly great value of they're the same as those from a few years ago!

gaz1 likes this.
  3. optima21 Forum Supporter

I got some of those magents a few years ago and tried to use them for the first time this week, I found that they were too strong and made a mess of the tacks I was trying to make, and that was with a mig. wonder how bad it would be with a tig.

DSC01839.JPG

and watch the faces of the checkout operator when they try and remove them from the conveyor. :laughing::laughing:

4. Turbo Member

We're getting more or less the same stuff this week in NI but they are charging us £30 for the same helmets! :mad:

But that's offset by having an 80a inverter welder for £70 which you folks don't seem to be getting! ;)

5. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I bought a set of those magnets, yes they are once incredibly strong. I tried to use them with the stick welder, but it drove the arc crazy.

Edit ...... Just had a thought, I bought them in Spain on holiday & brought them back. Perhaps they are left hand drive ones!

6. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    I use magnets(for jobs like that) taken from old hard drives,powerful little thing those

7. Badger1bear

Badger1bear If your not on fire, then your too far away

Neodymium ?

Hopefuldave likes this.
  8. Tangledfeet

Wasn't listed on their website but they also have some pliers and cutters in pliers.jpeg different flavours in, three for a fiver.

OMV and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. Turbo Member

Dc inverters don't like magnets, work ok with AC.

10. MonsterLandrover

MonsterLandrover Articifer In Metals

Lincolnshire, UK
    This thread has just cost me a small fortune. ..

Helmet, 4 magnets, 2 sets of grips and 2 sets of wire brushes.

Sean and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. Carl Wilson Member

Those pliers are from a week or so back. Got long nose ones.

12. Revs1972

Revs1972 Member

I use those double magnets to get plates off the plasma. Just use one of the 2 for smaller plates and use both on larger plates. 500 square 10thk plate is the biggest ive lifted so far. You have to use a tip/slide technique to get the blighters off though

julianthegypsy, gaz1 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. gaz1

gaz1 Member

its worth it what ya moaning at those magnets are great just as above there fun to get off again

14. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    Helmets quite nice too, specially at that price

15. postie jon Member

those magnets are brilliant, definatly sorted out the as_hole workmate's laptop when i stuck it under his desk for a day.....:scared:

16. Kayos

Kayos Member

They look like copies of Rothenberger ones, watch it if the pin wears, they close up and nip you very hard

hunter27 and Tangledfeet like this.
  17. Tangledfeet

Cheers! I bought these for handling anything hot in metalwork at school; we have a rack of tongs but they're all very cumbersome and better suited to large work from fifty years ago when the school was built - unlike the smaller stuff the these days.

julianthegypsy likes this.
  18. Kayos

Kayos Member

Sounds like they wont get the (ab)use I give them. My Rothenbergers got nicked so I bought cheap, 3 weeks later they got launched in a skip and I had 2 massive blood blisters on my hand

19. Tangledfeet

Sorry to hear! I have an inane dislike of cheap tools for home use; but for school they're fine as they don't get taken care of by the kids.

A few months ago someone on here mentioned NWS, a brand of German-made pliers and cutters; I've bought several pairs as they're an absolute bargain on eBay.

20. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    meh not even close Ive broken a couple of lidl ones no where near as nice a forging, chunkier ( weaker metal?) Rothenburgers dont "wear out" they "wear in"

Advertisements