Lechler then tiger seal

1. Cbr624 New Member

Hi, as per recommendation I've sprayed the underside of my tr7 with lechler epoxy, looks great
    Can I apply tiger seal to the seams within 24hrs as drying time says 48hrs until fully dry?
    I assume the whole underside needs another sand to give a key for the seam sealer and next coat?

2. Dcal Member

Yes will be fine
    The epoxy cure chemically so the tiger seal won't stop the full cure.
    I would prime on top of the tigerseal, unless you are applying stone chip in which case just spray on top of everything.

3. Dcal Member

Also, you don't need to flat unless you leave it a long time ⌚ (weeks)

4. Daz2012 Member

Staffs,UK
    When I used PPG epoxy you had a 24 hour window to recoat before sanding was required.
    The Lechler data sheet doesn't say how long you have which is a bit odd,just says you can sand after 18 hours.
    If it were me I'd scuff it with a red scotchpad just to be on the safe side.

5. Dcal Member

@Daz2012 good point, always read the instructions.
    Having said that 24hrs seems a bit cautious for epoxy, it's probably worst case at over 25 degrees.
    Epoxies normally take a fair while (and heat) to cure and you will be safe enough not sanding as long as the epoxy is not fully cured.
    If in doubt it's always better to give it a scuff but that's no small undertaking for the underside of a car. And you need to then clean the whole underside with panel wipe before applying the next coat. Been there done that and don't want to again unless it's completely necessary.

If it was me, I'd get the paint on as soon as, so that the layers can cure (and bond) together.
    Leaving it longer opens up the possibility of getting it contaminated which could be a bigger issue.

6. Daz2012 Member

Staffs,UK
    I've been using it wet on wet recently Dcal,epoxy, leave it an hour and then on with 2k primer.Not had any issues so far.
    So yeh,in the OPs case get the seam sealer on as soon as and recoat as soon as that's dried would be the easiest way.

Dcal likes this.
  7. postie jon Member

tigerseal can lift, use a proper seamsealer like wurth or 3m, tigerseals a polyurethane and nothing wil adhere above it. a bit like windscreen bonder.

8. Daz2012 Member

Staffs,UK
    Nothing wrong with a polyurethane sealer/adhesive.They can be over painted.
    You're getting confused with silicon sealers i think.

Advertisements