LDV Convoy CamperConversion

1. Mr Roo Member

A good friend and his missus decided they wanted to say "naff off" to rent prices and possibly take an extended sabbatical, so they bought themselves an LDV Convoy.

Now, I should stress that they bought this about 2 months before I met them, otherwise I would have told them to keep looking for a better one..!

They bought it off a fella who advertises on the local Yewtree :laughing: as being an "automotive welder"... More to come on that point..!

Anyway: while I find the photos and upload them all (and there were heaps of photos since the lad I was helping out worked for a TV company and loved playing with his cameras! :D) here's a BEFORE photo!

16 seater LDV Convoy, already had been converted to campervan but then left to rot for a few years before the "automotive welder" "repaired" it all and sold it on for £1200..!!! :doh:

• 001.jpg
  2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Do they want another 54/plate for free lol.

I part converted mine. Next time I'll be looking for a ex ups van to convert.

Wouldn't have another one tbh. Noisy and not a comfortable ride. Cheap to maintain until the fuel pump goes. :/

Mr Roo likes this.
  3. Mr Roo Member

How free are we talking? Does it run? After tackling that one, and doing a lot of the mechanics on it (filters, brakes, handbrake, exhaust, etc...!) I'm actually keen to buy one myself and get bashing into it again! I must be off my rocker though..! :o

Was it the banana engine in your one? He just had to replace injectors in his one which was a bit of a hair-raiser, but otherwise been lucky enough with most of the engine stuff so far! touch wood!

4. Mr Roo Member

First big job was the floorpan. Not a massive undertaking, but the damned thing was spot welded to the chassis every 2 inches in a grid that resembled a autoCAD background! :vsad:

Spent a good bit of time measuring what I'd need to cut at the workshop, then got to work ripping as much as I could out of the floor. Left at around 8pm that night and asked them to do "as much as you can" to the other side before I came back the next day. And we all know what happens when you ask them to do the work, eh..?

IMG_5231.JPG

Well, somehow by the time I turned up the next day they'd actually done the same amount of work on the other side! I'd drawn out a rough line for them to cut to and they got fired straight into it! I was dead chuffed as it meant I could fire straight into the fun part!!

IMG_5233.JPG

IMG_5155.JPG IMG_5180.JPG IMG_5234.JPG
    [I should stress at this point that they were more interested in having something solid than having something match as the plan was to cover this with some solid flooring and never look at it again.... So I put in 2mm mild steel which made the bending and shaping more difficult but also meant there was no need to worry about it being weak! I also cheated a wee bit by lapping most of my welds rather than butting them... :ashamed:]

Also worth noting my oldest brother was as helpful as ever... Had asked him to please pick up my small Clarke 100EN from my folks' house (180 miles away) as he was going to visit them the weekend before I started the welding.

Drove up, spent the weekend, came back. "I wasn't putting that manky thing in my car."

Got his comeuppance though as he pranged the car two days later reversing into a post..! :D Karma, innit?

• IMG_5241.JPG
    eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  5. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

So they want to line in a LDV van. I hope they don't want to go anyewhere in it.

Wendelspanswick and johnik like this.
  6. Mr Roo Member

Aye, that's the plan. Live in it, travel in it, etc. They were both very new to the practical, hands-on side of things when they got started but thanks to some internet fella called VanDog (who happens to have the exact same motor) they've got a treasure trove of resources and information (including how to fix and obtain parts!)

7. eLuSiVeMiTe

If the garage haven't already pushed it to the scrappy free. 2.4 duratorq with a dead fuel pump. Engine was sweet before it failed. Running gear in good condition. Bodyworks awful lol.

8. Mr Roo Member

Ah yes... I half-read a post about a duratorq fuel pump last night! Didn't realise that's the motor it was. Much were you getting quoted for that?

9. eLuSiVeMiTe

Didn't bother with a quote. 600 recon 1 year warranty 1200 new. That's just the pump. Plus fitting plus getting the immobiliser coded.

10. Mr Roo Member

Ouch!

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  11. eLuSiVeMiTe

Did they know how to stop the water getting in the cab. No matter what I did I had a constant trickle in then out of the step. Got used to squelchy insulation.

12. p0689109 Member

The doors don't fit too good at the top. The window aperture is big and the constant slamming of the doors tends to make the top flex outwards. Got one, been there but don't and would not live in it. The plastic roof is going to need some work to retain heat and they can leak from the join between the it and the lower structure. Mine is a 2002 400 and apart from brakes and rear wheel bearings has been quite reliable. I had to replace the positive battery lead which was £100 from the LDV parts company but otherwise mechanically sound. Transit based.

Mr Roo likes this.
  13. eLuSiVeMiTe

I bonded 27mm kingspan around the roof and lined with ply and built a inner stud wall filled with kingspan to retain an airspace between the outer skin. Was a very warm van. Boil the kettle before bed and still warm in the morning.

Mr Roo likes this.
  14. Mr Roo Member

First part was reshaping the lip around the roof join: it acts like a gutter but after years of abuse was just directing water straight into the van.

Then spraying the van with a hose revealed that the weakest part for water ingress was actually the windscreen seals - especially beneath, where the plastic trim for wipers was. Windscreen re-sealed with some great sealant I half-inched from work :D

Doors of course were an issue, but again - the main problem was the water being directed there by the wee gutter joining the roof to the van. reshaping that actually led to a much better and drier van!

As for retaining heat:

Essentially the same, but a combination of kingspan and rockwool to fill gaps!

They've been living in the van since early september and when I saw them again two weeks ago they said it was very cosy; no problems sleeping in it at all!

15. Mr Roo Member

Back on to the build now, I suppose!

Hardest part to do in terms of shaping (especially without access to an oxy-acetylene kit) was the passenger footwell.

This had been the handywork of the "automotive welder" where he'd done "all of the MOT failure welds"

IMG_5272.JPG

Yes, that IS a piece of taped aluminium screwed onto the bottom.

And so the work began. With no trammels, I had to take measurements to a datum and then work my way back. Used the nibbler to cut the shape as close as I could to the lines I'd drawn.

IMG_5275.JPG

Then I spent about an hour or more tacking, pushing, tacking, pushing, tacking, pushing, tacking, pushing... Remember I was using 2mm steel!

Not sure if I have any pictures of the finished product of this bit, but I was dead chuffed with it as it fit perfectly, and they'd pulled enough rot out that the welds were more than adequate!

Next, I went on holiday to Helsinki with her indoors (she's from just outside there) and asked how they were getting on with the van in my absence.

005.jpg 006.jpg

Looks a damn sight better than when we'd started!

Member 66062 and Wendelspanswick like this.
  16. monky harris Member

looks a right dog...:laughing:

Mr Roo likes this.
  17. Mr Roo Member

Next stage was of course the MOT failure welds that the previous fella had done. Yep, the "automotive welder" who operates on Yewtree..!

Chassis, Arches, Suspension point.

Very handy to have a mate with a sizeable garage who doesn't mind handing over the keys... Only had to weld umpteen exhausts as payment! Couldn't complain though, as I've done my time lying on my back in wet gravel doing MOT bodge repairs.

007.jpg

I should mention actually that this was the same fella who came to the rescue and let me nick his GYS plant when my brother didn't take mine down for me!

009.jpg IMG_6429.JPG

One chassis leg was in pretty bad nick, so did the usual "thump until it thuds" and then cut out and cleaned up for welding. Due to the nature of some of the scrap pieces I was using it became a slight jigsaw job..!

Certainly not perfect, but definitely solid and with no risk of causing issues before the engine goes! (and for the eagle-eyed amongst us, yes I did finish the weld along that bottom edge!)

IMG_6588.JPG

The arch was a nightmare. Ended up cutting out more metal than I'd hoped to, which meant I had an interesting job of rebuilding it all. Not to mention it was bloody caked in underseal from Captain BodgeJob before me!

Ended up using 0.8mm to give me a solid edge to weld to: stuck this on all the way along, about a 1inch wide strip for the full length. Then I used 2mm steel to bridge the gap, welding just where the 0.8mm had been welded onto the arch. Used a big pry bar and the wheel hub to bend the 2mm into the shape I needed, but once it was all welded in and in place I was very happy with it!

18. gaz_moose Member

fair play for doing all the work.

The problem I see with old knackers like this is you end up slowly building a new van out of patches. then they put loads of effort into kitting it out with fancy bits inside so are stuck welding it up every year because its MOT less value is nothing.

do they let stuff like this onto campsites?

19. The independent ones do, but not the Caravan Club type sites.

Mr Roo likes this.
  20. Mr Roo Member

Well, it was either that or they were going to pay a fortune to someone like the fella who owned it before them (who had in fact offered his services..! :clapping:)

Next job was the doorsteps. Upon further inspection, it turned out the passenger side just needed a bit of a lip welded on, so that was a quicky jobby.

Driver side..? A bit more involved!

First was shaping the odd shaped curves. One was a simple enough radius, the other a bit more open-cone shaped...

IMG_5982.JPG Nothing a bit of heat and a 100mm dia tube couldn't sort!

IMG_6520.JPG IMG_6519.JPG IMG_6521.JPG IMG_6526.JPG

Took a fair bit of work, along with bending and heating, to get it to fit properly. But once it was all in, coated with rubberguard (spray underseal stuff), and supported with a small bit of 20mm box section underneath, it was good to go!

OBLIGATORY ACTION SHOTS!!!

010.jpg 011.jpg

Which the fella got printed onto wee aluminium plates as a gift:

IMG_7004.JPG

Advertisements