Latest welds - seeking feedback please

1. Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member

Hello all! It's been a little while since I last posted and I've done my best to get some more practice in when time has allowed.
    I've attached a couple of images of my latest practice runs and I'm keen to get some feedback if you'd be so kind

I can see that there is a lot of spatter and I was wondering whether I might perhaps have my wire feed set too high!?

Thanks in advance! 20190221_100525.jpg 20190221_100520.jpg 20190221_100507.jpg 20190221_100456.jpg

2. merryman Member

Those welds are about as good as I ever manage to produce. Are you using CO2, as this makes more splatter than Argon/CO2 mix?

Speedfreak likes this.
  3. Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member

Great stuff, thanks.
    Nope, I'm using the Ar/CO2 mix. I'm not 100% certain I'm getting great coverage though. The welds themselves seem nice and silver in appearance but immediately around them I get a brownish dust covering. It soon brushes/wipes off so I'm not sure if that is normal or not!?

4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

The brown dust is just oxides produced melting the metal, nothing to worry about. Spatter could be down to wire quality or settings but it's only aesthetic. It knocks off mostly or if you grind the welds down it will clean up at the same time. It looks like you might need to travel a bit faster to reduce the weld profile.

Speedfreak likes this.
  5. knighty Forum Supporter

[I'm not a pro. welder or expert)

in the top photos if looks like there might be some slag stuck to the weld? - does it knock off?

if it is... that'll be a gas problem (steel looks clean enough)

how far is the tip of the gun away from the weld?

Speedfreak likes this.
  6. DTS Member

Bit of undercut on the inside corners. Hard to really say but it looks like too high a voltage setting, slow wire feed and too long an arc whilst hanging around to get a big fillet.
    Try getting some longer test pieces so you can see what’s going on, try some different settings, even if it’s running along two bits of box section?

Speedfreak likes this.
  7. Kent

Kent Member

Suspect it's too long an arc and too much power to create those undercut welds and those wicked blobs of spatter . If the spatter don't pop off dead easy the above i s even mor e likely the answer ( although I have to guess without seeing and hearing in process ) .

Speedfreak likes this.
  8. stuvy

stuvy Member

I take it you welded it just like the picture shows?

If so just move the work piece so your always flat as in horizontal and anti splatter spray

james marnell likes this.
  9. Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member

In terms of slag, I don't believe there is any though I stand to be corrected.

With regards the tip stand-off, I'd guess I'm probably running about 5-7mm from the joint.

10. Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member

Thanks very much for the feedback, I'll give some of what you say a try. There's every chance I have the power too high as my biggest worry is a lack of penetration. That might explain why I'm travelling too slowly as well. I'll try knocking down the power, upping the feed and travelling a little faster with the tip a bit closer.
    I hadn't considered just running a bead between to lengths - that would certainly save a lot of faffing around.

11. Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member

Thanks Pedrobedro, your comments regarding the dust has definitely helped ease my mind. I was worries that I might have an issue with gas delivery.
    Faster travel seems to be the way forward suggested by many so thanks for that advice too!

12. Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member

Thanks for your feedback Kent. What you're saying sounds spot on; whilst a few of the bits of spatter simply knock off, others are there to stay unless I get the grinder out.

Kent likes this.
  13. Speedfreak

Speedfreak Member

Thanks Stuvy. I manoeuvred the workpiece around such that most of the welds were done on top of a horizontal surface and the fillet welds done with the second face vertical.

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements